Non running 1000R

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Rockmonster
Technician
Technician

Non running 1000R

Post by Rockmonster »

My 90 1000R doesn't run! It's been in bits in the garage for years so this year decided to try to resurrect the old girl. Stripped it down frame powder coated new bearings exhaust battery etc etc. She will be a street fighter because stupidly I flogged off a load of the standard gear years ago. Anyway the starter motor turns but it doesn't sound like it's engaging anything. Exup servo motor doesn't kick in and there's no sound from the fuel pump. There's no fuel in it at the moment but there doesn't seem to be any turning over of crank either! Any thoughts oh learned ones? She ain't seized but she ain't playing at the moment!
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

firstly....

is there an alarm/immobilizer fitted???
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Rockmonster
Technician
Technician

Post by Rockmonster »

None of the above!
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Check all the fuses, especially the main one. Simple things first.
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

if you remove the inspection cover on the LHS of the engine case you will see if the crank is turning over, starter motor connects through a few gears, through the sprag clutch to a chain that drives the crank so there isnt a lot that can go wrong and when sprag clutches go there is a distinctive grating sound.

check that your battery has power, check that you've attached all necessary frame earths etc.

do a few simple tests, by hand twist your exup servo pully clockwise by 90 degrees, turn on the ignition and set kill switch to run...does the servo move.

do you have any lights/indicators/horn/instrument lights?
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
Rockmonster
Technician
Technician

Post by Rockmonster »

Now then......I was thinking about frame earths last night in bed (as you do!) (sad Git!) I've powder coated the frame. Where should the frame earths be? I haven't attached anything to the frame or subframe so this could be one of the problems......not all I bet! New battery is on the optima the until it's fully topped up. I have rear lights and indicators but no stop lights. Could be the bulbs but unlikely to be both as I've put in another couple of spare ones and they still don't work.
Rockmonster
Technician
Technician

Post by Rockmonster »

Front light are not connected (no front loom) anyone got a spare one? Neither are the clocks-same reason. Will check the crank is turning later too. Thanks for all the help so far I WILL get to the bottom of this! Eventually-with your help! :\
Rockmonster
Technician
Technician

Post by Rockmonster »

Ok tested fuel pump as described in service manual black to negative light blue/ black to + on battery- nothing! Fuel pump buggered!
List of things to get:
Fuel pump.
Next thing to check exup motor.
I have a sinking feeling about this project! :(
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

you will need an earth from the engine to the battery and there should be a -ve return from the wiring loom back to the -ve on the battery as well...and thats all you will need.

the engine earth is located close to the starter motor, its a long bolt, cant remember the number its either 25, 27 or 31...its around there.
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
Rockmonster
Technician
Technician

Post by Rockmonster »

Surprisingly the exup motor is within specification BUT the ignitor isn't giving me enough voltage......engine cut off switch?......the plot thickens! :/
Rockmonster
Technician
Technician

Post by Rockmonster »

Engine cutoff switch ok. No continuity in starter relay wiring. Mmn..... :/
Rockmonster
Technician
Technician

Post by Rockmonster »

The plot thickens!........when you say grating noise what do you mean? Banner? Will it mean that if the crank isn't turning over then the sprag clutch has gone? Does this involved a strip down of the entire block? :(