Carb boots

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
wonkiwheel
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Carb boots

Post by wonkiwheel »

After much toil trying to suss why my thunderace has this annoying idling drop and below 3k stutter on very slight throttle ive finally decided its gotta be the boots, ive stripped the carbs, done my float heights (well bent the tangs slightly) serviced the exup and a miriad of examinations around the carbs. The boots themselves look clean with no cracks, is it possible they have just warped? I did have some recent overheating problems and this may have exaserbated the problem, but its defo sucking air from somewhere, when i spray carb cleaner around them the revs fall almost to cut out. Anyways ive ordered some new ones and ill see where that takes me.
Killawife
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Killawife »

Check the vaccum tubes that are used for carb balancing. One of mine were cracked and sucked air.
wonkiwheel
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by wonkiwheel »

Yep done that, all good, cheers.
wonkiwheel
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by wonkiwheel »

WTF!!!! New boots on clamps tight as allowed, carbs seated coreectly,no hairline cracks anywhere on carbs and suuroundings yet spray carb cleaner around them and bam revs increase (note: the revs died in my op coz the mixtures screws where 4+turns out to compensate)....... does not compute!!!!
Killawife
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Killawife »

It might be the gasket between the cylinder head and the intake pipes that is broken.
wonkiwheel
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by wonkiwheel »

That was my next investigation!!
wonkiwheel
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by wonkiwheel »

Cleaned and reseated the seals all in good order, not sucking air from there anymore and idle is marginally better, still got this idle drop out and stutter when warm 65 degrees +. Had new plugs, checked diaphragms etc. It will idle at 1200 then intermittently drop to 1k and below the only way to contain it's impact is to richen up through the mixture screws, occasionally I get a pop back in the headers, carbs have been thoroughly cleaned and checked, the only thing I can think of is coils however would that show at higher revs above 3k also?
MMUK
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by MMUK »

wonkiwheel wrote:WTF!!!! New boots on clamps tight as allowed, carbs seated coreectly,no hairline cracks anywhere on carbs and suuroundings yet spray carb cleaner around them and bam revs increase (note: the revs died in my op coz the mixtures screws where 4+turns out to compensate)....... does not compute!!!!
Did you buy GENUINE Yamaha carb boots? Copy ones don't tend to fit properly, they don't have the rib on the inside that "locks" into the groove round the intake port.

A fix I've done in the past when a customer has supplied non-OEM parts is to use a smear of Hylomar Blue around the intake port before sliding the boot on. Not ideal I know but at least Blue can be removed without trace :)
Madison Motorsport UK
wonkiwheel
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by wonkiwheel »

They were from yambits who claim they come from the same factory and they do look identical with the ribs and same factory markings. There is no leaks in that area now so I've eliminated that problem. Cheers.