rear shocks

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
genghis-9
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

rear shocks

Post by genghis-9 »

I have recently acquired an exup, it needs a new rear shock absorber, any suggestions, please include pros cons etc.
Yoda
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Yoda »

Depends how rich you wanna be. I replaced mine with a Nitron unit and put Ohlins springs in the forks. Handled great. But its not cheap. I believe the 04 ZX10R shocker works. Also a friend fitted an 06/07 R6 unit to his exup, and if your mates with Dangerous Dave he will knock up spacer/adapter you need. Just some suggestions.
fzted
Gift of the Gab
Gift of the Gab

Post by fzted »

yep ohlins!!
Ride it like ya stole it
genghis-9
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by genghis-9 »

Ive heard only good things about ohlins prev to joining this site, so thinking that the route to go down.
Sorry am a bit of a nube as far as upgrades go, any suggestions on suppliers, how to ensure i get the right product etc.

Thanks
fzted
Gift of the Gab
Gift of the Gab

Post by fzted »

Stig's yer man you could probably pick his brains at a minimal cost!!! :unibrow:
Ride it like ya stole it
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

:paranoid: :paranoid:
Its really dependant on budjet. The ohlins will set you back big style if buying new and are a rare breed in good condition second hand

Theres a few folk who have fitted the 12R shock. Cant remember where it is but theres a list on site of all compatible shocks that its possible to fit with a bit of fiddling
AKA Bald headed b'stard
MMUK
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by MMUK »

I've fitted an R1 5VY shock to a 94 EXUP. Takes a bit of doing and you'll need to custom make a lower mount and fit different bones to suit your ride height. Massive improvement though and definitely worth it.
Madison Motorsport UK
fzted
Gift of the Gab
Gift of the Gab

Post by fzted »

Well you did ask? :nod:
Ride it like ya stole it
larry
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

1991 1000 ru exup

Post by larry »

MMUK wrote:I've fitted an R1 5VY shock to a 94 EXUP. Takes a bit of doing and you'll need to custom make a lower mount and fit different bones to suit your ride height. Massive improvement though and definitely worth it.
Hi there, real interested in your shock project 5vy that you installed any tips hints into the mounts a newbe and love the ru