Front brakes

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
scotty
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Front brakes

Post by scotty »

Guys,

Got an FZR 1000, 93 reg. Ive only had the bike a month and have noticed under braking there is a very slight judder / wobble through the handle bars.

Brakes been ugraded to R1 calipers and pads, the guy who previously had the bike was miticulous about its condition, especially mechanically, and i beleive the head bearing was recently replaced. Pads and discs look fine. Tyres have only 200 miles done on them, wheels recently re-powdercoated. Bike is sweeet as a nut accelerating and general riding...just this weee braking issue...

Any help greatly appreciated,

Scotty
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

could be a disc slightly warped or the head bearings need adjusting...also check tyre pressure & has the wheel been balanced?
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Got to agree with stig on that one. Headrace bearings or warped disc/s :thumbsup:

I've had similar in the past with a warped disc. Gone through two sets of discs while I've owned the bike. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
scotty
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by scotty »

Cheers for the replies guys, will go through and check all....cheapest 1st....lol...just had to spend a fortune getting my landrover through its MOT....grumpy swmbo....
Solorider
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Solorider »

Have a look also at your front wheel bearings, I had a brake judder on a FJ1200 and that was because of a knackered wheel bearing in the front wheel.
scotty
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by scotty »

Cheers, Ill add it to my list of things to check....it kinda unnerves you when you get that judder when braking.... i dont like it....
MMUK
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by MMUK »

scotty wrote:just had to spend a fortune getting my landrover through its MOT....grumpy swmbo....
I don't blame her. OFF ROAD vehicles don't need an MOT if you keep them where they should be - OFF ROAD :p
Madison Motorsport UK
robertcains
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by robertcains »

Was the powder coating removed afterwards from the faces where the disc sits on the wheel?
Nick
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

robertcains wrote:Was the powder coating removed afterwards from the faces where the disc sits on the wheel?
Good point Robert :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
scotty
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by scotty »

Now that I dont know Robert, cheers, a sneaky wee tip...excellent.

MMUK, landys ( esp defenders ) deserve both, muck and tarmac, although its a big steer to the muck...lol......they are also a beautiful example of automotive engineering at its best and deserve their well earned recognition on the open roads.... :nod: :nod: :nod:
swanny123
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by swanny123 »

got a free tip for you that might work before spending any money, I had this problem for ages on my yzf bought discs but before I changed them a friend suggested this to try. the bobbins on the discs are meant to be floating ie there should be some side to side movement on each one wwhich you should be able to do with youre fingers they will be stiffish but should move , if not get a bolt that will fit through with two washers and a nut, put the bolt with a washer on both sides and tighten the nut, spray brake cleaner in the gap at the top of the bobbins and start turning with a spanner etc a good few times, clean of the brake cleaner and then spray or pour some oil in the gap and turn a number of times again, do this with them all both sides then thoroly clean both sides of each disc with plenty brake cleaner, you might have to do some bobbins two or three times to get them freed,
swanny123
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by swanny123 »

forgot to say no juddering at all once I done this so could have saved maself 100 odd quid oh well you live and learn lol :nod:
scotty
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by scotty »

That sounds like a plan, funnily enough, i fiddled about with the bobbibs a few wees ago and some were really stiff......the stuff you learn...

cheers mate, excellent
Scotty
scotty
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by scotty »

OK, just spent last hour doing as Swanny suggested, one side was 90% Ok, the other side 90% solid... all turning fairly freely now, just got to check and see if we have a result.....

will report bck after tomorrows wee run...
scotty
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by scotty »

Well Swanny your a star, what a difference..... i reckon thats about an 80% improvement.....

I found one disc that moved a good 1mm or so on the bobbins and the other side just moves and no more, will repeat the process again in a few days to see if it needs a bit more freeing off....but overall a brilliant result....cheers mate..