Another Newbie

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
darthzuasive
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Another Newbie

Post by darthzuasive »

Greetings everyone, I've come across the site quite a few times in my searching and I just recently picked up some dogbones from a member on ebay who talked about the forum so here I am. This looks like a great site and I'm excited to read more.

Being in the U.S., specifically Columbus, Ohio, it seems no one really appreciates these bikes but I'm certainly very fond of mine. After having ignition troubles with my 90' CBR 600 I bought her used from a college kids parents and she was well maintained. It had fallen over in a parking lot so the left side plastics had some damage. I had originally started welding the parts together with an ABS slurry but the plastic was so brittle I ended up replacing it. I still have them and may still "rebuild" them.

Here is what I have:

- 97 YZF 1000R Thunderace (Lumiya, yes I'm an odd one that names my vehicles)
- 26k miles on it when I bought it last year, sitting at 31k miles and going up

Modifications/changes:

- Switched to LED for turn signals and tail lights
- Replaced the mirrors with LED integrated mirrors
- Added a Stebel Nautilus air horn (hidden under the rear fairings)
- Replaced the fairings (Had to go with the cheaper Chinese ones but they are not too bad. The color difference between the tank cover is barely noticeable.)
- Replaced fairing hardware with stainless hex bolt kit from the U.K. (You guys get all the good stuff for these bikes, including a longer production run.)
- Re-upholstered the riders seat and added memory foam (Man what a difference for long trips, the longest yet is 220 miles.)
- Replaced the scratched handle bar ends
- Replaced the clear windscreen with a darker double bubble

Planned additions:

- Rear height modification with the dogbone kit
- USB port using a DC/DC power reduction
- 12v auxiliary port for a radar/laser detector
- Re-upholster the pillion and add memory foam
- Clean up the previous upholstery work (had to get a new staple gun)
- Re-paint the tank cover

All in all, I love this bike. Such an awesome value in my opinion. The smooth power throughout the rpms is quite nice. Plus having the power to take me and my girlfriend without a complaint makes it all the better. Not to mention the much bigger pillion compliment. Oh and I will say it's amazing how stable this bike is, we have a few race tracks around here and I've taken her out. Got her up to 160 mph with 1/4 of throttle left to go and she was straight as an arrow and solid as a rock. My helmet/wind was another story (vibrated like crazy, lol)

Pictures today: (I have before and after fairings on my site http://www.outofboxideas.com/oobi/info/index.html)
darthzuasive
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Ooops, I forgot

Post by darthzuasive »

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I replaced the clutch plates as well.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

:welcome: to the madhouse

Bike looks well and those pattern panels appear really good from the pictures
Theres quite a few folk on here that own a "wide one" and some with very interesting modifcations

Feel free to shout up with any questions you may have...they're a helpful bunch of inmates. Theres also the tech section on the main site with a bit of info such as service manual etc

BTW, your bones were posted today, give me a shout when they arrive or if theres any issues :thumbsup:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
mobil1
Considerably Faster than Yeow!
Considerably Faster than Yeow!

Post by mobil1 »

Welcome aboard :thumbsup:
Play Safe! Play Hard!!
Fatdog
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Fatdog »

Welcome in!
Good to have one of our friends from across the pond on board. :nod:
Nice looking ride you have there sir.
1993 YZF750R
EXUP - Knee Down
darthzuasive
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Thanks

Post by darthzuasive »

Thanks, I've been fortunate to meet many great people from across the pond thanks to this kooky internet thingy. Such great hospitality while still being straight forward. Stig, I'm looking forward to the kit and will keep you posted. Might even throw the project up here if it hasn't already been done. I'm quite fond of her myself there fatdog and am probably hooked. Hopefully I can pretty it up even more.

I'm a fan of amber lagers but love a good imperial stout, first rounds on me!
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

I'll have a pint of Guinness please. Image
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.