Parking lights

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
thunder_taz
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Parking lights

Post by thunder_taz »

Hi all.

Just have a quick query that I am hoping someone can answer for me. Is it a legal requirement in the UK to have parking lights? I am using a set of Speed Triple headlights on my fightered Ace and the wiring for the parking lights is a pain in the bum.

I would love to get rid of them as I run my bike with the headlights on all the time anyway but don't want to get pulled or fail the MOT for not having them!!!!
MMUK
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by MMUK »

MOT rules are that if they are fitted then they have to work. It's not a legal requirement to have them in the UK and AFAIR, Triumph don't fit them to UK spec bikes so I would imagine your headlamp unit is off an EU import. Thus you can do away with the parking lamps but I would be more concerned about the beam pattern.
Madison Motorsport UK
krazyneil
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by krazyneil »

no requirement in the mot rules for parking lights as far as i can remeber but you could always give your local mot station a ring to check ,but im fairly sure your fine without them
i didnt know any bikes had parking lights to be honest
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!
roadrunner
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Post by roadrunner »

krazyneil wrote:i didnt know any bikes had parking lights to be honest
My FZ1N has parking lights. I just turn the key all the way to the left (past the steering locked position) and they come on.
That got me thinking whether the EXUP might be the same so I went out to the garage and tried it. At first the key wouldn't go that far to the left, but it did eventually and, hey presto on they came.
I suppose the the ignition barrel was a bit sticky, due to them not being turned on for the last 25 years I've owned the bike :rolleyes:
The keys on both bikes can be removed in the "parking light" position so no one can turn them off when the bike is left unattended.
With age comes wisdom.......and senility!!! Who are you again?
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

I thought the EXUP had them....shuffles off to the garage to check
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Mine has parking lights. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
robertcains
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by robertcains »

You have keys on your exup? Mine has a screwdriver.... Only joking, on a serious note when they were new did the lock sets have one key for all locks or two please?
Nick
krazyneil
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by krazyneil »

well you learn something new everyday here :)
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

robertcains wrote:You have keys on your exup? Mine has a screwdriver.... Only joking, on a serious note when they were new did the lock sets have one key for all locks or two please?
One key did it all.
Keep on keepin' on.
robertcains
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by robertcains »

Teego wrote:
robertcains wrote:You have keys on your exup? Mine has a screwdriver.... Only joking, on a serious note when they were new did the lock sets have one key for all locks or two please?
One key did it all.
Looks like I'm requiring a new lock set then as I have two different keys & a seized helmet lock, I'm trying to get it back to near original if I can, cheers guys
Nick