FZ600 battery not charging with lights on

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Kieranzxt
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

FZ600 battery not charging with lights on

Post by Kieranzxt »

Been playing with the 1987 FZ600.

Realised that with the lights on, the charging system is struggling to keep up with battery drain. I have fitted 60 watt bulbs in place of the 35 watt units, but would the 50 watt extra demand be too much for the genny?

Lights off, its all fine, with a battery voltage of 13.1 bolts after a run, and the voltage increasing with revs.

Lights on, after a run, the voltage was down to 12.4volts.

Normal or a feeble regulator?

Unplugging the big red plug, (that goes to the battery via the starting solenoid)I'm getting 14.7 volts.
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

Run the bike at a high idle and check the voltage at the battery, it should be we about 13.5 V if not it's the re/rec, if the charging voltage is OK, your battery is on it's way out.
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
MMUK
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by MMUK »

Be aware that the wiring harness on the FZ600 is spec'd for what it was originally fitted with. The wiring is not designed to cope with 55/60w bulbs. The wiring WILL melt eventually.

I used to build FZ600 race bikes for the Classics, nearly all of them had trashed lighting looms due to misinformed bulb choices.
Madison Motorsport UK