need some comfort advice

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

need some comfort advice

Post by jas328sport »

I was really excited about the fzr being back on the road again after so many years without use but it is turning into a bit of a nightmare as I just can't ride the thing as it is so uncomfortable.
I almost binned it today as my hand had gone totally numb and couldn't brake hard enough and almost went straight over a roundabout but luckily pulled it up just in time although anyone watching must have though I was pissed.
What can I do to raise the bar height so as to take some weight off my wrists as the only time I have some comfort is at speeds of 80+mph. I guess that I am not the only person on here getting too old for these things.
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

the only thing you can do to add meaningful height is to fit bar risers and a one piece handlebar.

something like this:

thats on a fzr1000 so judging by that pic you shouldnt have any clearance issues...i dont have any fairings on my bike so i cant measure it for you.
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
simonb
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by simonb »

But the fairing as been well cut back on that bike.
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Re: need some comfort advice

Post by YAMAEXUP »

jas328sport wrote:I was really excited about the fzr being back on the road again after so many years without use but it is turning into a bit of a nightmare as I just can't ride the thing as it is so uncomfortable.
I almost binned it today as my hand had gone totally numb and couldn't brake hard enough and almost went straight over a roundabout but luckily pulled it up just in time although anyone watching must have though I was pissed.
What can I do to raise the bar height so as to take some weight off my wrists as the only time I have some comfort is at speeds of 80+mph. I guess that I am not the only person on here getting too old for these things.
What's too old? I'm 57 in October & don't have any problems with my Exup or my R1.

I understand it's not the same for everyone :nod:
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

im 31 and i can feel my back going already :(
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I'm 61 and my exup is the comfiest bike I've owned. I can go forever on it without any aches and pains. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

I suppose I should have added that I do have a very large belly that also gets in the way :D
I am looking at different riser options but the way finances are I suspect I will just have to make do with dosing myself up on painkillers before I go out.
kev.h
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by kev.h »

I`m 46 and found it a bit uncomfortable at low speeds and filtering that's why I have taken the fairing of and put mx bars on it and I wouldn't go back to the standard bars now as its also much more comfortable on the bumpy back lanes to work and also makes it easy to look behind before overtaking. :nod:
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

Don't suppose you have any pics or links to the parts that you used kev.
kev.h
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by kev.h »

not got any recent pics but here`s an old one as for buying parts ive gone for more of a taking things off minimal look instead off adding parts . only things I have bought is twin headlights, small fly screen, and bar risers (from I think a cb500) I know its not to everybodys taste but I don't care it does my needs, I will try and put up a picture of bars and screen tomorrow (Image
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/5574 ... on-Customs
Was looking at these, would they be suitable and what bars would I need to fit the fzr switchgear etc.
kev.h
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by kev.h »

they look ok but you could get much cheaper on ebay . done a quick vid of mine not sure if you can make it out.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

That looks great, love the front lights, where did they come from. Do you know what thickness bars and risers are needed as there are a few different thicknesses.
I actually took the fairing off mine today as I wanted to get a feeling of what it would feel like to ride and I loved it, unfortunately it was a good job I did take the fairing off as I noticed my radiator is leaking and was virtually bone dry so I have that to get fixed now.
Thanks a lot for the vid mate, much appreciated.
kev.h
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by kev.h »

mine are standard bar size 7/8`` (22mm) I think that's the most common size, I got headlights from some bike shop in preston not sure of the name I just googled for them and they and they came up cheapest for the carbon look ones but you can get them from m&p and there are loads on ebay
simonb
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by simonb »

Are the risers just bolt on ones as in did you drill the top yoke?
Seriously thinking about going down the straight bar route as well.
Bars,risers and longer brake lines i suppose will be needed but is the clutch line and wiring long enough?
Cheers
Simon