Rattling noise

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Rooster
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Rattling noise

Post by Rooster »

When I let out the clutch and accelerate without a lot of rpm's I hear a rattling sound out of the bike, it's not there when it's idling or while riding just when trying to accelerate from a stop. The clutch seems to work fine it has no slip that I have noticed. Has anyone experienced this kind of an issue?
Put a fire fighter in in a sealed room with three ball bearings and no tools, come back in an hour and one bearing will be broken, one will be taken apart, one will be missing.
Killawife
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Killawife »

Does the sound go away when you pull the clutch lever in?
Fatdog
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Fatdog »

Are you saying the rattle is coming from the engine?
What bike is it?
The exup valve can make a rattle at the lower revs but not so noticeable at higher revs.
1993 YZF750R
EXUP - Knee Down
Rooster
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Rooster »

Rattle comes as I'm letting out the clutch and opening the throttle while rolling forward from a stop, no rattle after clutch is fully released. If I rev it higher and slip the clutch the rattle seems unnoticeable.

It's a 1989 FZR1000
Put a fire fighter in in a sealed room with three ball bearings and no tools, come back in an hour and one bearing will be broken, one will be taken apart, one will be missing.
Rooster
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Rooster »

Hit the starter button tonight all got was a wack and then nothing. When I try rolling it back and forth in first with clutch lever pulled I can hear a rattle from the bottom of the engine, if I push the bike with the engine in neutral there is no rattling sound. My hope is someone will know what just happened, something loose in the transmission?
Fatdog
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Fatdog »

For starters I would take the clutch apart and have a look to see anything broken.
Failing that you are probably looking at a full engine strip :eek: to find the problem (could be your starter clutch giving up).
1993 YZF750R
EXUP - Knee Down
Rooster
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Rooster »

I found a fuel locked cylinder after starting to tear down the bike and decided to explore the carbs, rusty crap was in all 4 and 3 of them were leaking one of course put 1/2 a tank of fuel into the engine. It still does not explain the rattle but I'm further ahead.
Killawife
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Killawife »

Weird, that happened to me once. Cylinder full of fuel and the engine wouldn't turn over. I had to run-start it.

The carbs on these bikes seem to be the cause of a lot of problems. Anyone know of any carb swaps that work?
Rooster
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Rooster »

Been staring at my sons gixxer 750 and wondering if
I could steal his fuel injection but maybe that's too much of a pain. I've heard of fuel injection swaps maybe an R1 donor?
Fatdog
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Fatdog »

Fuel filling the cylinder can cause a Hydro-lock of the engine (i.e the engine won't turn over) and can wreak the engine if it happens at high revs.
Generally it's a faulty float valve or dirty carbs which is the cause.
1993 YZF750R
EXUP - Knee Down
Rooster
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Rooster »

Found rust in all 4 carbs not a good thing, cleaned them out, am looking for a better filter and think I'm onto something better. found my EXUP valve has end play and there seems to be pieces/bolts missing from the assembly. Could be the rattle, someone have a photo of a valve with the chrome cover removed?
Fatdog
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Fatdog »

Have a look at Yampug's thread `exup valve rebuild' in this section.
That has a photo of the exup valve.
1993 YZF750R
EXUP - Knee Down
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Here you are rooster. This is how it should look.

You'll notice the fork prongs are slightly higher than the hole behind. A few of us on here find it gives you a bit more low down grunt set like it is. :nod:

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Rooster
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Rooster »

Thanks for the photo and link suggestion, I'm not missing much just the bolt in the middle