Throttle diaphragms

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Purity Vendetta
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Throttle diaphragms

Post by Purity Vendetta »

I don't know if this will be of any use to anybody but I read a lot about pinched diaphragms when people are rebuilding their carbs. I can remember when I was running a Suzuki dealership in Germany back in the early 90's and a guy brought a GSXR in which wasn't running right. On further inspection he admitted that he'd unscrewed the tops of his carbs 'to see what was inside them'. He'd panicked and screwed the tops back down and pinched all 4 diaphragms! You should have seen his face when I told him how much the repair was going to cost. I felt so sorry for him.

When I come to reassembling carbs after cleaning them I often find the diaphragms have shrunk so use one of those cheap piston ring compressors, the spring steel ones to stretch them back to the correct size to fit. With the price of diaphragms better safe than sorry and I've never nipped one yet using this method. You just pop the diaphragm over the top of the compressor and let the tension of the spring steel gradually stretch the rubber. It takes about 15 minutes to get the lip of the diaphragm to the appropriate size and avoids using the heat gun to soften them up. I just wish I had four of them.

I've posted a couple of pics of our ultrasonic in action too just for the hell of it.

Omnes qui me videt, me verentur, et ante me supplicant
yampug
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by yampug »

like your bench PV :)
Purity Vendetta
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

My guy, Mark made the bench for me yampug. He's a professional carpenter as well as being quite handy with the spanners. I know I'm biased but I'd highly recommend him if you want any woodwork done.
yampug
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by yampug »

haha ta for the offer PV but i'm a chippy myself. probably why i homed in on the quality work bench.

something i made a few years ago :D

Purity Vendetta
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

That's gorgeous!!! Nice garden too, makes me ashamed when I look at our disaster area.... I fool myself it's a nature reserve lol
yampug
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by yampug »

Wish it was my garden, I've got a balcony. Made the bench while working for an oak garden furniture company. That's some rich persons garden they used to sell the benches for about six grand each.
Purity Vendetta
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Six grand! Wow we're in the wrong business. I need to go on a carpentry course :)
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Purity Vendetta wrote:Six grand! Wow we're in the wrong business. I need to go on a carpentry course :)
that'll cost you ....six grand :lol:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Purity Vendetta
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Stig wrote:
Purity Vendetta wrote:Six grand! Wow we're in the wrong business. I need to go on a carpentry course :)
that'll cost you ....six grand :lol:
Bugger... Always with the negative waves Stiggy :D
Purity Vendetta
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Why thanks Stig, sounds like a real bargain and you certified n all :paranoid: