Exup valve cycling

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
Purity Vendetta
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Exup valve cycling

Post by Purity Vendetta »

Hi again, sorry to be a pain but I'm almost ready to fire her up but have another issue now the exup cables are connected. All seems OK when I turn the ignition on, the fuel pump runs for the prescribed 5 seconds but the exup valve doesn't cycle as I remember it doing. If I turn the servo pulley clockwise and turn the ignition switch on it rotates back to it's rest position with the valve in the closed position. I haven't checked whether there is a spark at he plugs to see if the ignitor is sending to the coils. I'm just hoping there isn't a problem with the ignitor as I can't find one second hand let alone afford one. The engine spins over fine and the battery is a new gel one. Any ideas anyone? I've only ever had the usual issues with the exup valve seizing up and as the bike has always dry stored no electrical corrosion issues. I have had a hunt through the electrical issues in the forums and pulled servisoled and lightly greased all of the connectors. Yep I got nervous and paranoid :paranoid:

If it does turn out to be the ignitor does anyone know whether it's possible to open them up as I'm pretty good with electronic repairs but don't want to wreck the unit opening it?
Omnes qui me videt, me verentur, et ante me supplicant
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

From what you've wrote here.....

The exup cables are connected. All seems OK when I turn the ignition on, the fuel pump runs for the prescribed 5 seconds but the exup valve doesn't cycle as I remember it doing. If I turn the servo pulley clockwise and turn the ignition switch on it rotates back to it's rest position with the valve in the closed position.

That is normal and when you start the bike and rev it gently you should see the servo pulley going backwards and forwards. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

+1, agree, from what you've written it sounds normal and ready to go.
If there proves to be no spark firstly check the usual things like kill switch and side stand cut out switch
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Purity Vendetta
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by Purity Vendetta »

Thanks guys, it's always nice to get a bit of reassurance and moral support. I've paid special attention to the electrics particularly after reading your ignition switch block connector thread Stig and reading that the alternator connector has a habit of melting. It was just that I remembered the servo cycling the exup valve before I used to start her up. I did have to give the master relay a thump initially as it seemed a bit sticky but fine now.

The bike hasn't been run since 2003... as far as I can remember so I guess a bit of paranoia is in order :)
Omnes qui me videt, me verentur, et ante me supplicant