Knowing when a camchain is due for renewal?

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
redrocks
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Knowing when a camchain is due for renewal?

Post by redrocks »

Apologies for yet another question.....my bike has 31,000+ on the clock. I guess it sounds a bit "rattly" to me (but might be quite normal of course) - could this be the camchain at all and is it possible to check this and / or the tensioner? I've been tempted to check the valve clearances too. Prior to getting the bike about 18 months ago, i don't think it had been particularly well maintained so i'm still working through various "jobs" !!
Andy
wonkiwheel
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by wonkiwheel »

My ace was rattley when i bought it so decided to check the tensioner, quite a straight forward job, found out it was stuck. Take the big centre bolt out of the tensioner first before the two smaller holding bolts to assess how far the tensioner has gone. Degunked and replaced the gasket, voila quiet as a mouse (except for my noisy clutch!!!)
redrocks
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by redrocks »

Will the tensioner re-set itself once its reinstalled - the manual does say to remove it completely then re-install?
Andy
wonkiwheel
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by wonkiwheel »

Yea, I just reversed the removal procedure, you can hear it clicking/tensioning when installing the large bolt and springs. Like i say its pretty straight forward, even i could do it, although i did try to put it back in the wrong way round!!!! :rolleyes:
wonkiwheel
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by wonkiwheel »

YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

If you do a full service ie. shims, air filter, plugs etc then balance up the carbs this may well get rid of most of your clutch rattle.

My '90 Exup has 50k+ on the clock & sounds sweet, so unless you've run it short of oil, I doubt that the cam chain needs replacing.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk