Drilling holes in frame?

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
thunder_taz
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Drilling holes in frame?

Post by thunder_taz »

Hi all

On my Thunderace, all of the front end wiring goes underneath the front of the frame through the plastic tray that supports the coils. This is a bit of a pain as there are a lot of wires to get through a very small gap.

I am thinking can I get two holes drilled in my frame close to the headstock as I have seen on some other Yamahas with similar looking frames. I could then use these holes to route wiring etc to the left and right of the headstock instead of going underneath. If I did this would I be affecting the strength of the frame. The holes won't need to be big so I am hoping I could get away with it!!!!

I hope I have explained myself properly!!!!!!
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

headstock is a safety critical area, i wouldnt be drilling ANYTHING out of the frame.

plus im pretty sure that your insurance will be invalidated unless you have told them that you have modified the frame (remember its the frame, not the swingarm, that the V5 is attached to), and good luck getting them to insure you afterwards.
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
Fatdog
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Fatdog »

I wouldn't do it.
If it needed extra holes then Yamaha would of provided them already.
1993 YZF750R
EXUP - Knee Down