To Polish or Not to Polish

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
yzf750Jim
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

To Polish or Not to Polish

Post by yzf750Jim »

I have heard many negative's about polishing your Frame and swinger..

Mostly about keeping it clean...

Any thoughts....
Archangel
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Archangel »

Mine has been polished on one side and not the other by the previous owner, so I'm kinda forced into breaking out the polishing kit and doing the un polished side... :(
robertcains
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by robertcains »

Mine has had the outer visible parts of the frame & swingarm done by the previous owner, simple case of Solvol Autosol regularly & I must admit it does look quite nice surprisingly.
Nick
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

my swing arms polished as it was scratched when I bought the bike. It takes a bit of keeping shiny in the recessed areas and the bike doesnt get used alot. I keep it maintained with Mothers polish, its less abrasive than autosol
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

When I bought my exup 15 years ago. The frame was already polished so I've kept up to it ever since. I've been all over it this week with the autosol bringing the shiny bits back to life. I enjoy doing it apart from looking like a coal miner after a 12 hour shift.

Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
mattblackone
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by mattblackone »

I have loads on mine polished frame, sw arm, top yoke, filler cap, f rest hangers etc and it does take a bit of work to keep it all polished but the way i look at it is 1, it looks awesome 2, if the wife wants me to do gardening or diy then its sorry darling gotta polish the bike.
One thing i have found helps make the time between polishing sessions longer is to give it all a coat of body wax when i do the paintwork it does seem to help protect it

Bill
yzf750Jim
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by yzf750Jim »

Think after seeing that pic nuggett and the general opinion of the forum its polishing time :D :D :D :D :D :paranoid: :paranoid:
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I want to see that elbow going like a fiddlers on full belt. :lol: Welcome to the black snot club. :D
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
yzf750Jim
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by yzf750Jim »

Think I will take a buffer home from work over the week end...
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Wear a mask Jim or you'll be coughing up nutty slack for a fortnight. :lol:
undeadhairy
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by undeadhairy »

So nugget has taken a pic of his bike an photo shopped it :lol: :lol: :lol:
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

undeadhairy wrote:So nugget has taken a pic of his bike an photo shopped it :lol: :lol: :lol:
You're very observant Karl. That's roadrunners bike but don't tell Jim
undeadhairy
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by undeadhairy »

The rear swing arm John is that off a 750?
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

It's an after market one Karl. It was on the bike when I bought it. It's a JMC 7020. I seem to remember they made them for all models. I had heard JMC had gone bust a while back but somebody has taken over the name and started making them again. :nod:
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

nuggitt wrote:Wear a mask Jim or you'll be coughing up nutty slack for a fortnight. :lol:
and goggles or you'll look like a throw back from the New Romantics with eyeliner on :lol:

oh the joy of polishing :lol:
AKA Bald headed b'stard