Shelf life on tyres

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
rdgravy
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Shelf life on tyres

Post by rdgravy »

Maybe it's common knowledge and I'm just stoopid. That doesn't require an answer. :) Thought I'd share with you all that I recently found out tyres have a shelf life of about 5 years. I bought a decent set of used spare tyres recently and when to have them fitted a few days ago. The chap who I asked to fit them suggested not using them as they were about 8 years old and the rubber kind of sets and makes your ride very uncomfortable as well as quite unsafe. I think on nearly all tyres if you look around the edge of the tyre you can find the week and year of manufacture. I can try and add a picture later of where you can find the info on the tyre if it helps anyone at all. Maybe I'll use them as a swing! :)
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

If you do any swimming at all Dave. They'll make good water wings. Image :lol: :lol:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

keep em cool and out of sunlight and the rubber should be OK

My spare has been in the loft for longer than its shelf life and it still feels soft with no signs of aging (unlike me) :crybaby:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

The tyres I had on the bike while I was over in Greece for ten years had hardened. When I got back to the UK they didn't give me much confidence at all going into bends etc. As soon has I got new boots on the difference was amazing.

Bang some new ones on Dave it's just not worth it. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
rdgravy
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Post by rdgravy »

new ones it'll be then. I was going to use the spares on the spare bike I have to use on a track but the tyre fitter reckoned that'd be even worse, especially on the bends. Never mind eh. :)
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

plus tyre technology moves on quite a bit in 8 years, my zxr400 was on 9 year old michelins when i got it...horrid they were.
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
robertcains
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by robertcains »

Had these guys recommended today, prices are very good indeed!

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/
Nick
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

robertcains wrote: http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/
I looked at that site, & although it says .co.uk they're based in Germany. For some reason the same tyres vary quite dramatically in price. Puzzling...

As for tyres shelf life, i've got a Diablo on the back of the FZR-R atm & it's been on that rim for over 10 years with no problems. Before that I had a Pirelli GT that I used for 2 trips to the Bol d'Dor at Paul Ricard & 3 trips to Assen for various races. That GT tyre still handled better than the Diablo until it squared off. I've got a Pirelli MTR-01 on the front now, which i'd only ever used for foreign rides & it handles well.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk