Need your carbs cleaning?

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Need your carbs cleaning?

Post by Stig »

invested in a cleaning tank.....
Its big enough to get a bank of 4 carbs in complete so when i've had a play and given it a try it'll be offered for service

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30L-Professio ... 0720445745
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Ooooh!! I see Santa's been early to your house then. :D

I might give that a go stiggy. It will have to be next year sometime though. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

got the cleaning tank out today. Done 3 carbs. i firstly soaked the externals with a strong degreaser to clear off the crap. After soaking I used an old tooth brush to clean off the majority of the crud and to agitate the remaining debris a little. I then dropped the carbs into the bath set at 60 degrees and ran a full 30 minute cycle. i then left them approx an hour to soak at temperature and ran a further 30 minute cycle, stopping part way to use a brush to clean any remaining stubburn debris. Afterwards they were dried with the airline and left on the radiator overnight to evaporate any moisture that may have been trapped.

The image below is of the crap that came from 3 carbs with pictures before and after

AKA Bald headed b'stard
itsnotagenesis
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by itsnotagenesis »

Quite impressive, it takes ages cleaning carbs by hand to that level.
The only thing I would do differently though would be to totally strip the carbs by removing the jet block and everything else first
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

itsnotagenesis wrote:Quite impressive, it takes ages cleaning carbs by hand to that level.
The only thing I would do differently though would be to totally strip the carbs by removing the jet block and everything else first
I've done that on the other 2 sets but wanted to clean this set up before draining the tank overnight, didnt want to waste the detergent. I've now got to rebuild them all and set the float levels etc. The 2nd set will then go back on my bike
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Fizzermartin
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Fizzermartin »

I'm going to need to get my carbs ultrasonic cleaned could you pm me on how much you would charge :)