exhaust downpipes

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
sprockets
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

exhaust downpipes

Post by sprockets »

hi from Downunder

my bike is a '93 YZF 750 with an FZR 1000 3LG motor all done up in Cadbury's livery. Bought it so off a guy in NZ, the bike has some UK history, from the Liverpool area I think, I'll sort through the paper work and post something later with a picture, maybe someone knows something!!!
Anyway , its going through a complete teardown and rebuild (inspired by the work of YZF Paul).
A question I have is about EXUP valves and downpipes. Are the valves of the YZF 750 and Thunderace the same as an FZR 1000? Will the downpipes from a YZF 750 fit and work on an FZR 1000? I know there is a bit of a difference at the link pipe end (which could be easily overcome). How about performance wise?
my EXUP is stuffed by the way, hence the questions. Looking to get something off ebay, although I saw in a recent post that there are some new pipes around, wonder what they would cost???
i'll see if I can post a picture on members Bikes.
Catch yer later!!!
sprockets
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

exup downpipes

Post by sprockets »

The longer spindle. That may explain the state of my exup valve - bent!!! and the housing cover wouldn't screw down squarely. Do you have any measurements of the spindle? I'd like to see exactly what I have. I believe that the early R1's share the same exup??? I guess your pipes are going to be worth more that I can pay, so I'll keep looking for some good used ones - I'll keep them in mind though. I might even try and get the valve straightened and the longer spindle precision ground to the correct length. Will probably need a new housing cover and bushings. I see that early r1's don't use the soft dust seal but only a metal bush - is this an option for FZR and YZF owners? Lots of questions - the brains working overtime but I would like to understand more on inter-model compatibility and possible upgrades.
Thanks for looking at my post and the valuable infomation that you feed back.
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

The cover doesn't fit right because the valve is bent, they're difficult to get out when seized and bend on removal, if you have access to a pillar drill or Lathe an engineer would be able to straighten it quite easily, this is your cheapest option, although I have valves that are checked all good.
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
sprockets
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

exup downpipes

Post by sprockets »

Right, Iv'e worked out that I do have an fzr exup valve in my pipes and not something with a longer spindle as was maybe thought. The valve body and the shorter (18mm of the FZR verses 22mm of the Thunderace) of the two spindles look to be in good alignment (measured with the naked eye) but the pulley end spindle is a good few degrees off. I'll whizz if off to an engineering shop to get straightened, got to be worth a try.
1993 YZF 750/1000, Cadbury's Boost
1999 XJR 1300, yellow, Zorstec mufflers
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

I've check straightened all of mine by putting one end in a pillar drill (set it on slowest or spin by hand) and gradually straighten it until the unsupported end spins concentrically it is then straight and will rotate freely.
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock