Engine swap question

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
TokenYank
Considerably Faster than Yeow!

Engine swap question

Post by TokenYank »

Anyone know what's involved in putting a Thunderace engine in an '88 FZR 1000 Genesis? I'm aware of the loom, CDI, and that the lower engine mounts for the Genesis cradle arms are still in the engine.... anyone else know what else I'm gonna be smacking my head against a brick wall over?
Yeah, I'm that loud mouth yank that sits in the corner and only ever says "DDDUUUUUUDDDEEEEEE!!!!!!!"
anoldmanreturns
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Re: Engine swap question

Post by anoldmanreturns »

TokenYank wrote:Anyone know what's involved in putting a Thunderace engine in an '88 FZR 1000 Genesis? I'm aware of the loom, CDI, and that the lower engine mounts for the Genesis cradle arms are still in the engine.... anyone else know what else I'm gonna be smacking my head against a brick wall over?
No need for loom swap just use crank pick up from genesis, job done. Biggest problem is space for thunderace carbs and airbox. Get around this by using genesis carbs. Bit fiddly getting the genesis carb rubbers over the thunderace inlets but soak em in VERY hot water and they go on a treat.

Kenny (feel for you fella)
Support the Classic TT and Manx Grand Prix
anoldmanreturns
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

engine

if you lived nearer I would offer to help with the building up :ninja:
TokenYank

Re: engine

Post by TokenYank »

anoldmanreturns wrote:if you lived nearer I would offer to help with the building up :ninja:
cheers dude... but I think I might have something sorted! (might need that bottom end off ya though, I'll find out in the week...)

However... I was wondering about the cam chain tensioner... If I were to have the camchain done, would I be able to reset the tensioner? Or is there no going back once it's worked it's way out?
Yeah, I'm that loud mouth yank that sits in the corner and only ever says "DDDUUUUUUDDDEEEEEE!!!!!!!"
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

anoldmanreturns wrote: No need for loom swap
how does the exup servo interact with the earlier genesis loom....do you just fit the EXUP related CDI?
AKA Bald headed b'stard
anoldmanreturns
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Stig wrote:
anoldmanreturns wrote: No need for loom swap
how does the exup servo interact with the earlier genesis loom....do you just fit the EXUP related CDI?
Exup servo not fitted. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Thunderace engine fitted into genesis frame using genesis crank pick up plugs into genesis cdi and runs no problem at all. No exup needed. I seem to recall that a slight sump mod using genesis sump the the genesis exhaust is used too.

I did all this using a later exup engine, worked a treat.

:D