little white block near fuel pump

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
dangerousdave
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

little white block near fuel pump

Post by dangerousdave »

As above the little white block on my RU 12x12x63mm at the top of the fuel pump only has one wire connected the green and red one, the red and white has been cut short, been like this since I've had it, so what's it's purpose?
The Dangerous One
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

if its like the R it will be your resistor for the fuelling circuit, in combination with the thermistor in your tank (R has it, i would think RU does too without me looking at the diagram) it sends a signal to the CDi to tell it you are low on fuel.

this either means that your CDi might not currently be able to recognise a low-fuel situation, or that someone has permanantly wired your reserve switch on.

for what its worth, on the R model if you remove the resistor completely, and remove the wires going into the fuel tank, and wire the reserve switch "on" permenantly, the bike runs perfectly fine...just you cant tell when you are getting low (well i will, but im getting a fuel gauge fitted).
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
skyerae
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Post by skyerae »

The RU has it too FYI. Someone has wired my bike to run from full to empty - either which way you turn the switch it does the same. Checked the switch and it is fine, I just know that when the trip meter reaches 150 miles I am running on fumes, so I full up before it gets that low.
If you can't do a job properly, don't do it at all !!!
dangerousdave
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by dangerousdave »

My reserve works fine , splutters when running low flip the switch and she's back on again, so that's strange, like I said only one wire connected but res works fine, weird.
The Dangerous One