Why was the 'Ace never popular?

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Why was the 'Ace never popular?

Post by Crazy L »

Hi guys

I've had my 'ace now for a couple of years, and before the 955, I had a 'Cat for 8 years. What seems to be constant though, from '96 onward, and even now, The Thunderace is simply not a popular bike.

I was wondering why.

It's comfy, has a good tank range, decent wind protection (once a double bubble is fitted), clocks are easy to read (again, double bubble), can hold a ton of luggage, has a glob of torque up it's sleeve, stops half decent, but is not the most prettiest, but lets face it, it's prettier than some of the other bikes of it's time (RF)

Opinions please
Crazy L, The Original since 1976
Answer RC
Sworkz
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

IMHO, the ace came along at the wrong time and was aimed at the sports market...around the same time the blade made an appearance. It was Yamaha half hearted attempt at competeing with the Blade. Yamaha were caught with their pants down when the Blade arrived as it was so different from the competition.
As you say, its style suggests its bigger than what it actually is. Even tho' its slightly lighter than the FZR before it, it certainly looked alot heavier...

But then the R1 came along and we all forgave Yamaha their slight hic cup :D
AKA Bald headed b'stard
rf9rider
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by rf9rider »

Whats wrong with the RF? :finger: :D
Rutz is my friend.
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

Nowt wrong with the RF really, thought I'd get someones goat with that though, lol.

Didn't the 'blade come out in '92?

I think you're right though, it was aimed at being sporty, when the looks betrayed its intent. By '96, when they were launched, the world had the 916, RC45, and for us mortals, an Urban Tiger Blade, which is still way sexier than the ace. But now, they still have a stigma about them.
Answer RC
Sworkz
Fatdog
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Fatdog »

I think the name did it no favours (as well as the cat) - not one of Yamaha best thoughts!
1993 YZF750R
EXUP - Knee Down
Crazy L
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Crazy L »

Maybe they shoulda called it the YZF 1000 ST or something. But even without the name, just as a bike, its popularity is a bit underestimated imo.
Answer RC
Sworkz
RAG TOP
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by RAG TOP »

love mine does every thing that I need and more,must admit not the prettiest but neither am I lol,think that's why I tried to make it look more modern with yzf forks and swingarm. unashamed chance to show pic.
no fool like an old fool
WAKWAK
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by WAKWAK »

I loved mine :nod:
Chaos, panic and disorder ... my work here is done.
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

A friend of mine had a new 'N' Ace & he couldn't understand why it wasn't faster than my Exup-R. It was lighter & handled nicely compared to my bike, but it just didn't live up to the marketing hype ie. better than the Blade of its day.

Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk