re-chrome fork leg help

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
dangerousdave
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

re-chrome fork leg help

Post by dangerousdave »

Whilst the front end of the bike is out I thought I'd change the oil seals, on closer inspection I've found the chrome has worn through on one of legs.
After looking at the trusty Haynes manual I don't see that the bottom part of the leg comes apart from the tube, i see there is a funny looking screw that could be holding these two bits together but unsure if they come apart for re-chroming, anybody have any ideas or some new stantions as I've been told it's about 60 a leg to re-chrome.
Cheers Dave
The Dangerous One
dangerousdave
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by dangerousdave »

Cheers Chris, yes they are the RU ones, I'll have a blast at them tonight , I think I'll have the bottom bits powdered as they have stone chips on,
Thank again Dave.
The Dangerous One
joeboy
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by joeboy »

Did you get these legs done in the end...I see there are new ones now on ebay for 110 each...

I fancy a crack at getting mine done if i can get them done for 60 each..
GOVERNMENT WARNING!:
If you are having individual free thoughts please switch on your TV immediately and watch x factor, or go shopping, or buy a happy meal, free thought will lead to extremism.
dangerousdave
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by dangerousdave »

Hi joeboy, just manage to get them apart tonight think I'm going to run them over to dyna surf in sandbach tomorrow, 185 quid for rechroming, better than standard finish apparently, I'll post some pics in turbo time on here and show you the damage.
The Dangerous One
joeboy

Post by joeboy »

Ok cheers....at 185 I might just buy one new leg and fit it..

I liked the 60 quid each price better... :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141116784184
GOVERNMENT WARNING!:
If you are having individual free thoughts please switch on your TV immediately and watch x factor, or go shopping, or buy a happy meal, free thought will lead to extremism.
dangerousdave
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by dangerousdave »

I know it's a dear doo, that is for two tho. but what can you do eh, if you need them you've gotta get them done, brakes my heart to spend that money and not really see anything to show for it, but should have another 23 years of hard riding until the next time.
The Dangerous One
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

If I have to get any done i'm gonna go for the gold nitride coating

Dont care if its less durable... with the amount of miles i do a year it'll see me out :D
AKA Bald headed b'stard
dangerousdave
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by dangerousdave »

Looked at different colours me sen but with all the polished crap I've got on mine to put a different shiny colour on didn't think it would match, but yeah the gold or blue look the nuts :D
The Dangerous One
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

dangerousdave wrote:I know it's a dear doo, that is for two tho. but what can you do eh, if you need them you've gotta get them done, brakes my heart to spend that money and not really see anything to show for it, but should have another 23 years of hard riding until the next time.
I've got a pair of 1991-1993 fork legs, just serviced with new oil, in good order that you could have for that price.
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
dangerousdave
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by dangerousdave »

I would of had them off you but I've sent the legs off today :(
The Dangerous One
Tiger
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Aftermarket plating is better

Post by Tiger »

Proper hardchrome is different from standard plating and infinitely more durable.
A stone thrown up from the tyre of a vehicle in front will pit the std plating and see you chopping out fork seals, generally regardless of if you try to polish the pit out with diamond paper.
Good hardchrome is unaffected by high speed stones, the std plating is as good as you will get on a std bike where Accountants are involved in Engineering.
My Thunderace has shields integral with fork seal wipers to deflect stuff, not only stones admittedly as bugs and such are hard on wipers and seals.
IME Jap fork tubes are a soft grade of maybe 400 [?] series stainless steel, free machining for manufacture and quiet strong/resilient but soft.
Bugger buying new, make a better part out of the original.
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Re: Aftermarket plating is better

Post by creedxup »

Tiger wrote:Proper hardchrome is different from standard plating and infinitely more durable.
A stone thrown up from the tyre of a vehicle in front will pit the std plating and see you chopping out fork seals, generally regardless of if you try to polish the pit out with diamond paper.
Good hardchrome is unaffected by high speed stones, the std plating is as good as you will get on a std bike where Accountants are involved in Engineering.
My Thunderace has shields integral with fork seal wipers to deflect stuff, not only stones admittedly as bugs and such are hard on wipers and seals.
IME Jap fork tubes are a soft grade of maybe 400 [?] series stainless steel, free machining for manufacture and quiet strong/resilient but soft.
Bugger buying new, make a better part out of the original.
True, I'd like mine Titanium Nitided though
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
dangerousdave
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by dangerousdave »

This stuff I'm having is rock ard and better than standard apparently, think it might be the stuff they use on jcb s , makes sense as they get some hammer with bricks and whatnot falling on them.
The Dangerous One
itsnotagenesis

Post by itsnotagenesis »

I had mine done at Philpotts years ago, excellent service.
The only problem I found after getting them back was the reccess near the top where the ring goes under the clipons needed enlarged as the ring kept slipping out.
Hard chrome isnt quite as shiny either but would rather that over pitted chrome.
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

I had mine done at Philpotts as well, they weren't very shiny and you could feel lots of little ridges with your fingernail, worked fine though.