newbie from n wales

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
hammiegt
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

newbie from n wales

Post by hammiegt »

Hi all, Hammie here, just picked up a very cheap doggy 89 exup, which I plan to use as a road/trackday bike, it runs and stops and has t&t, but needs a bit of tidying to say the least, it joins my stable of a modded 76 Suzuki gt750 and a 98 firestorm. Have been doing trackdays since 05 on modded kettles with a few other nutcases with similar, but last year took my firestorm out in the afternoon sessions, first time on track with anything modern, thinking it will be a bit too quick etc etc, by the end of the day im thinking the vtr is too slow and the brakes are crap, [kettle is running blue spots], so have been looking on and off for something to replace vtr as a track bike, as I think ive run the course on doing it with my kettle, always a prob to pass the noise regs, and after using the vtr and finding how much easier it was on something a bit more modern the hunt was on. needed to be a bit quicker than vtr which is prob pushing out 85 oddbhp these days tops, and something that doesn't need the nuts revving off it, [had a fazer 600 a few years back and have realised that my riding style suits grunty not revy, having had a streetfigher which had a exup 1000 engine in a few years back [one off handmade trellis frame, exup motor, gsxr running gear mad flame paintjob] I remember the engine being the sort of thing that suited me , so when I saw this one, and being cheap, it came home.
So I will be pestering for help and advice over the coming months, need some bits of bodywork, advice on suspension, will prob have to doe the needles and tubes on carbs [had to do this on last exup] valve clearences?? how can you tell if they need doing?? wheels [do any other yam ones drop straight in?] the list goes on, will try and post a few pics up
cheers for now Hammie
ps cheers to stig for sorting out my registration
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Welcome in Hammie. Some good lads on here. They'll get you sorted out with the all questions etc. :nod:

To early for a Guinness so I'll have a tetleys tea bag please. No sugar as I'm sweet enough. :D
Last edited by nuggitt on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
hammiegt
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by hammiegt »

Doubling away to the kitchen now mate to get it sorted for you lol, I am now gonna attempt to put some pix on

the new puppy now in the man cave

my modded kettle
my vtr

and the mad exup engined streetfighter I had a few years back
Fatdog
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Fatdog »

:welcome: Hammie!

Fire across the questions and we will do our best to help you out!!
I'll join Nuggitt with a brew as well please. :D
1993 YZF750R
EXUP - Knee Down
itsnotagenesis
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by itsnotagenesis »

Nice GT :nod:
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Yes nice kettle, now where's my bloody Tea? :lol: :lol:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

:welcome:

I can help out with Needles, toobs and shorter dogbones if you need them. I also have a spare chainguard as per your listing in classifieds :thumbsup:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
hammiegt
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by hammiegt »

cheers stig, kettles on lol, I will pm you, off the top of my head in no particular order, plans are as follows, overhaul suspension, progressive fork springs, new oil and seals, poss new [hagon etc] rear shock, or maybe get the one fitted refurbed?? not sure if they can be rebuilt, shock off another model, [any recommendations] brake strip clean overhaul, new pads, normally use, ebc hh pads, change front master cyl for r1/r6 item, as front brake has no feel with standard res, strip off bodywork, repair replace as required, its all pretty horrible, in carbon wrap at the mo [its bad lol], give it a cheap paintjob myself to look like stigs rwb one, maybe even paint colour in to save on cost, seen sticker sets at 129 on the bay, refurb wheels new bearings and tyres, [try and get spare set of wheels] strip clean carbs, new toobs etc, service exup, valve clearences, prob never been done, any tell tail signs of trouble?? bike seems to run ok, little flatish at 6k but pulls thru fine, but test ride was wet and raining, and backed off when I started to spin rear wheel up, service, change missile launcher rear r1 can that's fitted for something smaller, but needs to pass trackday noise test, well that should keep me busy for a while lol
cheers hammie
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

I also have some crash bungs that have a few marks. They'd be OK for a track bike. I think theyre RG ones from memory. If you want I can take some pics

Theres a few members thats fitted the rear shock off a ZX12R, from memory it was Dan. There may be some more info on the conversion in one of his posts

http://www.exup1000.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12021
AKA Bald headed b'stard
hammiegt
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by hammiegt »

cheers if you can keep the bungs handy, ive binned my kettle 3 times over the years, getting my A,s mixed up, fortunately all lowsides, so the bungs would be good, any info re shock rebuilds? or is it best to replace??
cheers hammie
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

They can be rebuilt but the cost of doing so isnt economically viable when you can get a better quality item with a wider range of adjustment for much less than the price of the rebuild
AKA Bald headed b'stard
hammiegt
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by hammiegt »

ive seen hagon ones at 299 I think, any knowledge of these?
roadrunner
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Post by roadrunner »

Hi hammiegt and welcome in. As nuggitt said, you'll get loads of help and advice from lots of knowledgeable folk on here :nod: They all know their Exups so stay tuned :cool:

Regarding valve clearances and when to check them. I think the book says 26,000 miles but I did mine at 24,000 and found them found them all to be too tight. The valve seats were subsequently found to be in poor condition, having to replace 5 inlet valves. Strangely enough all the other inlet valves and all the exhaust valves were ok! The valve seats in the head were good as were the guides. I think the problem with the inlets valves (pocketing) is not uncommon on the exup.

In view of this, I myself, would recommend a valve clearance check well before the 24,000 mile check I carried out.
With age comes wisdom.......and senility!!! Who are you again?
hammiegt
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by hammiegt »

wonder if my puppy will be goosed??, its showing 40 odd thousand, with a lot of not too careful owners by the looks of it, neglected would be a word to describe it, although it seems to run ok ish, its on the list of to do, but may be beyond my mechanical expertise lol, may have to find a man who can
cheers hammie
hammiegt
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by hammiegt »

So took it out today for an assessment, as the roads were dry, first did the tyre pressures as they were both low, it started on the button after being left since Thursday,once a bit warm, it will tick over albeit a bit lumpy, no apparent blue smoke from exhaust, has a rattle coming from the clutch basket area, and another from either the altenator or exup, not sure on that, everything appears to work on it although indicators are flashing a bit fast, on the road it seems ok, tracks in a straight line, tips into corners ok, I have a bypass right by me, couple of mile, roundabout couple of mile roundabout, so took it down the test track, nailing it in 2nd/3rd and 4th, it pulls fine and stutters a little at 9k then clears, the speedo waves around like a drunk [found it very annoying] suspension seems ok, [on the short run I did, not sure how it would fair on the track] soft on the front thou, but although smooth to accelerate, I would not say its startling,it does pull when you pin it, but not instantainious and not rocket ship fast either, needle was waving around past 120,when I went to slow down, like I said it pulls but not 120bhp fast,i expected quicker, not too worried at mo, service engine and carbs and see where we are at, I think its had a pretty uncared for life so what can you expect, brakes work, back is infact quite nice and has a good feel and is effective, fronts pull you up but have a horrible wooden feel on the lever, im sure a r1/r6 master cylinder will help, I have bluespots on my kettle and that has a lovely feel to the lever, no obvious leaks and it didn't boil over, so at least I have a better idea of what im dealing with now, will add a few more pix so you can see her in all her glory lol.
cheers Hammie