electrical questions.

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
whiteboy
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

electrical questions.

Post by whiteboy »

Hi everyone, bought myself a Fzr1000 exup to ride while I finish my project (1000 genesis). The electrics need sorting on it so have stated routing through and having a look. First query is the rad wiring has been disconnected and a bridge wire placed in there and a manual switch for the fan has been attached. Will the rad operate correctly like this or does it need hooking up correctly? Then also the reserve wirring on the bottom of the tack had been ripped off. Will the bike run like this obviously just not registering any reserve? Or will it just cut when reserve is hit?

Thanks.
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

the fan - they have disconnected the radiator thermostat. the radiator temperature gauge is a separate circuit, as the temperature goes up you will have to manually flick the fan on to drop it again, and then turn it off. not a problem, just remember to do it if your gonna be stuck in traffic. its probably the rad thermostat that has died, or the previous owner wanted the fan to kick in at a lower temperature (i.e. manually).

the reserve - if he has bridged the connectors and connected it so that the reserve switch does nothing then the bike in its current state will be able to be run until its out of petrol. if the bike will not rev with a full tank of petrol you know there is a problem, and the CDi is "thinking" that you are low on fuel. if this is the case (from memory) you bridge the connectors under the tank and your reserve switch should now work. alternatively you bridge the connectors under the tank and then wire the reserve to permanantly on res...
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

For the reserve circuit, the connector to the tank has to be open circuit for all the fuel to be used with no reserve indication, if the circuit is bridged (or closed) the fuel supply will stop when the reserve level is detected (approx 0.8 gallons left in tank)

If the wiring has just been ripped out, I would leave it as it is, there will be no indication that you are low on fuel, so keep an eye on the level/odometer.
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
whiteboy
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by whiteboy »

Brilliant, thanks for the quick replies. So in regards to the reserve switch as there is no connected word under the tank I don't need to worry about bridging the switch wires? And when the fuels gone its gone.
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

whiteboy wrote:Brilliant, thanks for the quick replies. So in regards to the reserve switch as there is no connected word under the tank I don't need to worry about bridging the switch wires? And when the fuels gone its gone.
Yes. :)
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

ah yes, thats what i did, i bridged both just to be on the safe side :D

me brain no worky in winter :crybaby:
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

tehfan sounds like you have a manual override switch fitted like my own. Theres usually an extra set or wires running to either side of a 2 pole switch (on & off). If thats the case the fan will work as normal but you'll also have the ability to switch it on earlier than when the stat is to cut it in. its useful on hot days ..if we ever get any
AKA Bald headed b'stard
whiteboy
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by whiteboy »

And the next problem..... I ended up buying a new loom but when tried fitting to the bike it's clear it's not rite (although stated will fit an exup) . So went about putting old loom back in with just leaving out a green 4 pronged relay which had 3 wires attached ground, one from ' main' on the fuse box and the other from Brown cable off rear brake light switch, not sure what this is for but was assuming possibly for indicators. Now with everything back on it's placed turned the key and hit the starter and nothing, the exup servo moves but nothing else. Is there an easy process of elimination? I've tested the signal coming from the starter button and that's fine just not sure where else to begin. Will I just be better of biting the bullet and getting another loom and try that? With regards to the loom I've bought not to sure what is off as doesn't look like the one from my genesis and is very different to my exup ie missing exup servo connection.

Many thanks.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

I had similar issue...see my post in workshop about faulty electrics not turning off.

The servo plugs into the ECU not the main loom. Also for the starter, check the small wire that connects the starter relay to the loom, its the trigger wire
AKA Bald headed b'stard
whiteboy
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by whiteboy »

Where can I find that topic? Had a look through the workshop but couldn't see it. I'd it the blue wire? If so that's connected.

Thanks.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Here you are whiteboy.

Have a read....

http://www.exup1000.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12474
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

Stig wrote:I had similar issue...see my post in workshop about faulty electrics not turning off.

The servo plugs into the ECU not the main loom. Also for the starter, check the small wire that connects the starter relay to the loom, its the trigger wire
On the R model the servo plugs into the ECU, on the 2 RU models, the servo plugs into the loom.

If you have an RU model, you have probably bought a loom from an R model EXUP.

You need one for either your 91-93 RU model, or your 94/95 RU as both these looms are different and not interchangeable.
whiteboy
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by whiteboy »

Bike is on a g plate so 1990. The exup plugs into the ecu. So I need a pre 1991 loom? Just going to bite the bullet and buy a new loom but want tomake sure get the correct one .
Thanks
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

Yes, you need a pre 1989/1990 loom

They're normal referred to as an R model
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

I'd like to help out but I only have 2 RU looms and a thunderace one.