Thunderace/YZF750 project.

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

The difference between the 2 oil coolers are just the position of the coolant pipes, if you have the Thunderace ones all fitted, I'd stick with them.
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

I think the athunderace oil cooler is slightly bigger as well, so it's better to use that one.
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
wayno
Technician
Technician

Post by wayno »

I do have the thunderace one fitted, but not plumbed up as yet, it will be by the end of the week though :)
Pass me a spanner, hammer and a cuppa!
wayno
Technician
Technician

Bit of an update, and some questions for you clever chaps.

Post by wayno »

I got the cooling system cobbled together, and the electrics are laid in place all ready for trying to fire the bike up. I would have tried it last night but realised that Yamaha switched from a single pump/level sensor to separate items on the thunderace and I didn't have my soldering gear to modify the loom to suit.

I have also managed to get the 750 downpipes wedged on for now, I may modify these to suit the ace engine for the time being until I know what I'm doing with the exhaust.

Couple of questions

1. When I filled the bike up with coolant I was met by a jet coming out the side of the barrel from an open M6 hole. What is supposed to go in here? I have a screw in there now :)

2. On the bottom of the 750 tank there is a spout that looks like it could be for a vacuum hose, is this the case, and if so whereabouts on the carbs does it connect? Take into account I have thunderace carbs so i will need to know where the ace vacuum hose connects (if it is in fact a vacuum hose that goes there).

Cheers
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Re: Bit of an update, and some questions for you clever chap

Post by banner001 »

wayno wrote:I got the cooling system cobbled together, and the electrics are laid in place all ready for trying to fire the bike up. I would have tried it last night but realised that Yamaha switched from a single pump/level sensor to separate items on the thunderace and I didn't have my soldering gear to modify the loom to suit.

I have also managed to get the 750 downpipes wedged on for now, I may modify these to suit the ace engine for the time being until I know what I'm doing with the exhaust.

Couple of questions

1. When I filled the bike up with coolant I was met by a jet coming out the side of the barrel from an open M6 hole. What is supposed to go in here? I have a screw in there now :)

2. On the bottom of the 750 tank there is a spout that looks like it could be for a vacuum hose, is this the case, and if so whereabouts on the carbs does it connect? Take into account I have thunderace carbs so i will need to know where the ace vacuum hose connects (if it is in fact a vacuum hose that goes there).

Cheers
1. its probably the cylinder water jacket drain port, needs a small screw and copper washer (you can probably get away with not fitting the washer).

no idea about #2? is it not the fuel tank water drain?
wayno
Technician
Technician

Post by wayno »

If it leaks I'll get a washer for it.

I suppose it could be that, or even just an overflow hose, I can't remember where the hoses go though :(

Thanks for getting back so quickly though
Fatdog
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by Fatdog »

The hose is the fuel overflow pipe.
The vacuum hose on the 750 tank comes off the fuel tap and connects to the intake piece just under carb number 1.
Hope that helps!
1993 YZF750R
EXUP - Knee Down
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

The extra pipe on the tank is a vacuum line that opens the tap to allow fuel to flow, it connects to a tapping on no 1 intake stub.

The coolant hole on the barrel is a drain, an M6 bolt fills it, I would think you'll need a copper washer on it though.
wayno
Technician
Technician

Post by wayno »

That's perfect, thanks chaps
wayno
Technician
Technician

Post by wayno »

I got everything connected up but no start up :(

I can smell the fuel so there's fuel getting through the system, I'll start all the usual other checks this weekend.

I did notice however that the rev counter is flicking up to 3000rpm indicating a fault with the throttle position sensor (TPS). Does anyone know if this means it's knackered or just in need of adjustment (is there a way of testing it?) Also does anyone know if this would stop the bike running or just make it run a bit crap at certain positions?

ta
r1wantone
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner

Post by r1wantone »

I the TPS isn't working or it's disconnected the bike won't start, Are you putting ram air filters on the bike?
If you are not fast you're last
wayno
Technician
Technician

Post by wayno »

hi all, I'm back!!

After a year and a few months of moving out, moving in, moving out, moving in and refurbishing I have finally decided it's time to pick this project back up.

I have got a TPS from ebay and will be fitting it to the bike soon, how do I adjust them and know they are correct?
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

I believe the FZR1000 EXUP front pipes will fit the Ace as they're basically the same engibe externally but the can fitting is different so you'll need a connecting pipe and end can
AKA Bald headed b'stard
wayno
Technician
Technician

Post by wayno »

That's alright it is only the front end that needs to fit, the back end I will sort when I have a stainless set
wayno
Technician
Technician

Post by wayno »

Hi Stig, is it any year that should fit or just the later ru ones?