Vivian - Banner's streetfighter experiment.

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

might have an engine in a frame :D

needs oil, radiator and oil cooler adding (and fixing properly) then it should be good to fit the swingarm and fire the thing up!!!

i can just get my zxr 400 commuter in :D
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

if things go well this weekend my bike will have its front suspenders on but it will still be exposed at the rear (he really is a slut our viv), ill clean up the rear brake components, get the pegs put back on and remove the corrosion off the rear wheel spindle. ive sent the suspension dogbones to be powdercoated along with the suspension linkage (after it gets the center bearings and inner race pushed out - they were jammed absolutely solid in there). ive got all but 1 of the bearings i need to fully replace the suspension bearings with and ive drifted out the 2 large ones in the swingarm pivot - these ones needed to be drifted as there is a lip behind them, i assume that there are no more lips on any of the other bearings, and that they can just be pressed out and new ones pressed in? - hoping so.

as my rear wheel is proving disastrous to try and remove the rear brake disk im gonna keep the current one on there for the time being, but when it comes to needing a new disk ill just get a new wheel rim and go from there...

with any luck next week the bike should be standing on its own 2 feet...i need f/r sprockets and chain and then its ready to get fired up, broken in, and MOT/tax/insurance and i can ride the thing then...before i stop after 2 weeks, strip it all back down and start to make it into a special build :D

has anyone fitted a fuel meter to their bike yet? ive been looking at these tube type ones from demon tweaks which should give me a fuel level reading for the digital clock - i know its not necessary, but i like the idea and the lcd dash has the indicators for it, i would like them to work. also i will be foaming the tank so i cant use an arm type gauge.

im gonna ask demon tweaks a few questions, i need to know if i can put this on the underneath of the tank, or if it HAS to be at the top. i should be able to cut a rubber gasket to seal it fine - im also not sure if i wanna be attacking my fuel tank that much just yet...ill see if there are any "spares" on ebay first methinks.
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

viv is starting to look like a chopper...that almost gives me an idea for another fzr1000 project...

front brakes are on

am bleeding the front brakes at the moment mainly to give them a fluid change, out with the old manky dark orange, in with the straw new dot4 fluid, brakes feel pretty decent, managed to get almost of the air out i think, ill confirm it when i do the final bleed. i was managing to get fluid seeping past the LHS brake banjo, so i did it up a bit more and its all looking good. i will anneal some new copper washers when i come to fit the final brakes (ill probably go for blue spots as an intermediate option).

managed to free a rounded bolt holding the clutch cover on, managed to force it round with a screwdriver and lump hammer, so i need 4 small recessed steel allen bolts to replace these, i might even try to reverse fill/bleed the clutch tomorrow (never used a hydraulic clutch before) if i have enough brake fluid left after doing the fronts.

ive also cleaned up the rear wheel innards including all the spacers/rear brake arm/wheel spindle etc ready for the arrival of my powdercoated dog bones and swingarm linkage, then we will press the old bearings out, new ones in, and the rear can get assembled hopefully next weekend.

as a favour, does anyone on here have a part-worn front tyre for the '89 1000 exup that they want a couple of quid for as my current front is un-rideable.
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

more little bits and pieces added...

throttle housing is cleaned and re-oiled, only running a throttle cable at the moment (no return) ill see how it feels and add the return back in if necessary

got the coils and spark plug caps on and attached and pulled the electrical cables through the rubber frame holes, all starting to look more like a bike now

fuel pump, filter and resistor on, as well as crankcase breather, just needs airbox (knackered) and fuel tank and the ignition/LH handlebar electrics fitting and the front end is finished, oh and the mudguard needs to go on too

cleaned the footpegs and gave them a light internal oiling, when the front sprocket arrives and i get the swingarm fitted ill then be able to fit the footpegs

thats been it for today, but im now almost out of things to clean, the dry-build has officially started, after this it gets stripped down again, finalized and rebuilt :D
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

sprockets and chain are bought, gone for 16T steel front (-1 on standard), 47T steel rear (standard) and a chain, all in 530 pitch (532 as standard) and bought 4 exhaust gaskets so i think im all set...just waiting for powdercoating to come back now :D
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

powdercoating done, need to get these bearings replaced with new ones now and then the rear end can go on and ill have a rolling chassis!

he's left the bare metal edge so it should all line up properly, might help to form a "cover" almost and keep out extra bits of crap from going near the bearings...
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

grease your suspension linkage people!

this is what happens when it is left neglected (not be me)

i went up to Stig's place this weekend to avail myself of his 20-ton press...very nice bit of kit! managed to remove all 6 bearings, and replace 5 of them (need to buy it from yam dealer, never seen it on ebay), i need to replace this inner race pictured above and 2 oil seals for the spherical bearing and my rear end is sorted for the moment (needs a new shock at some point).

ive cleaned up the rubber chain guard and rubber boot for the rear shock and punched out the pop-rivet for the rubber chain guard (mine was knackered at the top, im gonna put in a long steel M6 bolt through it instead for the time being), and ive steel brushed the rear shock and painted it all black (again, for the time being)

now i need some axle stands, the bearing/inner race/2x oil seals for the swingarm linkage and i can get my rear end rebuilt!

and thanks to stig for all his help, top bloke!
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

PROGRESS!!

got the suspension linkage and rear wheel on

its not pretty, it just has to pass the MOT, horn and clocks are on

then i got the rear subframe, undertray, rear electrics and seat on, as well as the coolant expansion bottle

next was the downpipes and exhaust

and finally i filled it with coolant and oil...

i need some 8mm fuel pipe so i can get fuel into the carbs, and a rear sprocket and it will be mobile. the RHS fork oil seal is leaking (dont know why i didnt spot it before), so now that its mobile (and now that i have the replacement tyre) ill sort the forks out at my mates garage on friday night - gives me something to do rather than just drinking :D

the front brakes and clutch seem ok, i need to attach the rear brake/MC/both footpegs...and then its ready to fire up...finally the "end" is in sight for phase 1 of the rebuild.

:)
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

got some fuel hose on order from ebay, got some collars for the radiator/oil cooler from yam dealer along with 2 new oil seals, and ive got a 47 tooth 530-pitch supersprox sprocket in the post...cant...spend...anymore...
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

FIRED UP!

Post by banner001 »

Fired up at the first time of asking! Wahhhh! Am well excited! No rattles or odd noises, just power, man it wants to rev at the slightest touch of the throttle. Ill post a pic and vid when i get on the pc, might have to take it up the road on thursday, test the clutch and the gears.

Am TOO happy, im almost through my bottle of jack daniels tennessee honey, wonderful feeling i have now.

Thanks to everyone for.their parts/help/comments this far, quality site and quality lads!
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

im having one of these

because my bike did this (after 5 years of inactivity) "CLICK FOR VIDEO"

the video makes it sound like a bag of nails...in reality its loud and smooth, no vibrations or noises...sounds like victory!
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

ive got a bit of a dodgy connector to the horn (i think its corrosion in the large black connector under the airbox), and i still need to check the rear brake (although i got the pistons moving better yesterday, need to see if they are still binding or not)...but other than that, i have a bike ready for an MOT!

pics tonight if its still light when i come home, if this horn electrics looks to be a problem (i.e. intermittent) ill just bridge the connection i think is faulty and try to sort it that way (it needs a full re-wire at some point by the looks of it).

the rear indicators were so badly corroded that i was in danger of damaging the tail plastic by trying to unscrew them...so out came the hacksaw, not pretty, but it does the job. got the numberplate fixed on, so its all good to go now!

:D :D :D

lets hope it passes first time now!
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Good luck with the MOT matey. Its always a relief when then go straight through. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

MOT should be this saturday, gotta make sure my mate has booked it, managed to get the horn working 95% of the time...it will be fine, just got pics for now:

gonna start to work out what to attack over the winter now...who needs to save for a house?