Exup control unit swap 91-->90

The place to come to share your technical expertise, or just find out what the little springy thing is that's just pinged out of sight under the work-bench.
zampa
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Exup control unit swap 91-->90

Post by zampa »

Hi guys, Marco from Italy. I own a 90 1000, bought in south italy (if you know italy, that's all). Beside the fact that i come back from Avellino (900kms) with the carburettors half disconnected (!), my exup valve was stuck in place and the control unit was not moving when switching on the ignition. So I tought: exup stuck then control unit broken. I disconnected the exup control unit, and everything was the same (no revs limiter to say you have a broken exup control unit)

Start the research for a new headers+exup+cable+control unit. Found one from a 91, the owner said that was working. Connector is different but the colour of the cables are the same, so I just change the connector, connect to the original cable, turn the key waiting for the position check but... nothing. I have no reason to not believe to the seller (everything working he said), there is no fuse for exup control unit, so what?
Does the 1990 do the position check at every ignition key turn? Do you have to turn on the engine to do the position check or you just need to turn the key?
It is possible that yamaha mantained the same colour code for the cables but change positions of the pin (cannot believe)?
Bike is working good apart a vulcano hole at 3k rpm so the main ECU should be ok (the exup control unit cables just go inside the ECU, there is nothing in the middle).
I have four headers in the garage with exups stuck in different positions, 2 control unit broken, and I am really scary to buy a control unit from abroad (somes are in the uk) because if it arrives broken?
Any guess?
Regards

Marco
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

when you say check servo...do you turn pulley on servo wittj ignition off, THEN turn on ignition and servo doesnt re-centre itself?

Servo doesnt move normally from home position on powering up.
AKA Bald headed b'stard
zampa
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by zampa »

Yes, I tried to move the pulley on servo, and then key on, and nothing happens. I've never seen this damney pulley move...
I have no friends with another exup just to test my servo with their cables.
The ECU looks well "welded", I cannot believe that the southern men opened it to remove the connections of the exup servo to avoid rpm limiter with faulty unit, too clever...
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

Start the bike and rev it up, the servo pulley should start to move straight away.

If it doesn't, then there is a problem with the sevo, the ECU, or the wiring to the servo.
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
zampa
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by zampa »

creedxup wrote:Start the bike and rev it up, the servo pulley should start to move straight away.

If it doesn't, then there is a problem with the sevo, the ECU, or the wiring to the servo.
That's true, is not moving... Wiring should be the same (why change the pin location if having the same colour scheme?), ECU, mhmmmm, probably it's just another broken servo, sold as working, the only solution is to find the servo close to me so that I can try before buy...
this bike was so so so unlucky that is costing me three times the price and still have trouble... but she took me home the first trip of 900kms with the carburettors partially disconnected so she deserve it...
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

If the wiring is OK, you could then check inside the servo to see if the teeth have been stripped due to the valve being seized at some point in the past
AKA Bald headed b'stard
zampa
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by zampa »

Stig wrote:If the wiring is OK, you could then check inside the servo to see if the teeth have been stripped due to the valve being seized at some point in the past
I have checked mine (the original one - supposed to be broken), and it was a pain in the ss to just open it without loosing all the tiny stuff inside, and the teeth are perfect...
I just need to find a working exup close to me and switch the servo to check that cable and ecu are ok, and then find a working one...
In the meantime if you guys need some headers, I have 4 (dunno if from 89/90 or 91) with or without exup (seized of course) ready to be shipped for free (ex shipping) and 2 servo internals also :)
itsnotagenesis
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by itsnotagenesis »

I thought the R and the RU servos were different.
itsnotagenesis

Post by itsnotagenesis »

What I meant was if the connector is different is it not from an RU model?
zampa
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by zampa »

this is the connector from 89/90

this is the RU

BTW, I got the used bike that I was speaking about and... ehm... it's 10 times better than mine...
It's a 1989 without papers so I should register it again, but has only 9k kms and it's in mint condition, just dust. It was stopped 5 years ago and the fuel pump was not "TTTTRRRRRRRRRRR" when you turn the key, but we connect the fuel tank straight to the carbs and after 5 seconds the engine comes alive!!! Probably just the pump stuck or maybe a wrong connection, or a fuse.
No scratches anywhere!
The problem is that I am missing the top body with the screen and the rear sides. I have only the big front sides (no scratchesssssssssss!!!)
But there should be no problem to find them and paint match to the 2 sides.
The exhaust is so clean and perfect that seems new! Hopefully in this one the exup and the servo are not stuck...
Will post pics as soon as I have it in the garage (still from my friend to avoid my wife sight :))
I will try to give 12v straight to the fuel pump and see what happens. If no sign of life just order a new fuel pump. I'll search on ebay but maybe there is a non original replacement?
zampa
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by zampa »

Look this

The red cables. I have the electric scheme but there is not trace of that.
They actually come out from the ecu...
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

zampa wrote:Look this

The red cables. I have the electric scheme but there is not trace of that.
They actually come out from the ecu...
There's one the same listed on eBay US

http://www.ebay.com/itm/89-Yamaha-FZR10 ... 1054594019
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
dan83590
Earbasher
Earbasher

Post by dan83590 »

Could it be a Californian model, an extra bit for emissions?
zampa
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by zampa »

Sorry guys my fault. the first 2 pictures are the ecus installed in my bikes (1989 and 1990). The latter is a pic taken over the internet to show what I am talking about.
In both my bikes I have both this cable. just curious to know what they are, and no, could not be for california as my bikes are euro spec
zampa
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by zampa »

Hi guys, back with some news.
I have swapped the ecus between '89 and '90 and the "faulty" servo starts to live! If I use the '90 ecu on the '89, the '89 servo is not moving anymore.
So there is something wrong with the 1990 ecu.
It's so strange that the bike is going well but the exup system is not working. The ecu is still sealed. I am looking for a used ecu, let's see.
In the mean time I am still rebuilding the other one, now registrered and really in mint condition with only 9k kms....