newbie alert

Start a discussion about anything you like here. Newbies please note, it's your round!
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

newbie alert

Post by jas328sport »

About time I said hello.
I have owned my 89 fzr1000 exup for over 15 years now although it hasnt been ridden for the last 3, in fact I dont think I have done 1k on it in all the time I have owned it and as much as it annoys the mrs I dont think I will ever sell it nor have I got any interest in getting anything newer either.
Please dont laugh too hard at the pics of it as the paintwork was done 15 years ago and I actually quite liked it at the time and as it was non standard anyway I really had nothing to lose by making it how I wanted it.
I also have an old 1984 rg250 gamma that I have owned for 24 years although it is pretty much a wreck, I may get around to doing something with it one day though.
I dont really have a lot of spare time for messing with bikes anymore as most of my spare time is spent racing and repairing this
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

:welcome:

Thats gotta be some kind of record, joined 4 years back and now a first post. Glad you decided to drag the old bike out and join us at last

Cant say anything about the lack of miles :whistle: I know what its like to not have enough time to play out. Luckily I keep getting nagged by Roadrunner & nuggitt so do make it every so often.

BTW, remote car looks fun :nod:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Welcome to the nut house. :thumbsup:

As for laughing, I'm not laughing to much honest. :D

The only time stig puts any miles on his bike is when he spins the front wheel round to clean the wheel. :lol: :lol: :p

Is it ready for the Sept Lincoln trip yet?
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

I had no idea I joined so long ago, I was looking recently for an fzr forum when I was thinking of getting it on the road again and found this one, when I went to join up it said I was already a member. I dont actually remember joining but we had a bad house fire a few years ago so it may well have been at around that time so would have slipped my mind.
I dont think I will get it on the road until next year as it is buried in the back of the garage and I have a load of mini moto stuff to get shot of first. I did have it running a couple of weeks ago on 3 year old petrol but the smell was horrendous and made me feel ill after only a minute or so of idling so I had better drain the old fuel off first.
I will also have to lose some weight first before I can get back in my leathers as a broken collar bone after a mini moto accident a few years ago followed by a dislocated knee last year whilst marshalling at my rc race track has meant the pounds have crept on.
The buggy is great fun although a very expensive hobby, I have been racing for around 18 months now and it is very addictive.
Here is a vid of our track that I recorded.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQxG5vWa ... nfXkYJgHUw
rdgravy
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Hello

Post by rdgravy »

Does Stigs front wheel get dirty then? :ninja: Hello Jas and welcome. I like your radio controlled thingy. I've got a Thunder Tiger MTA 4. I only run it on 10% fuel at the moment as I'm still practicing, I have used 25% but it's far too rapid to control until I get used to it. Great fun but a little heavy on the bends for my liking. :D
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

I also have an mgt 8.0 which is exactly the same truck as the mta4. If you think the 4.6cc version is quick you should try the 8cc one, very thirsty though.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Do I say welcome back or hello again? :lol:

Good luck with the MOT. If I were you I'd have the carbs off and get rid of all that built up gunge that's lurking in all the jets etc. I'd also check the emulsion tubes for wear too.

I'm getting used to the colour of the bike now. :lol: :lol: It's not to bad is it, is it? :D
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

that paint scheme's one burberry stripe away from an ASBO...init :D

good to see a bike being used rather than looked at.
Current bikes:
1989 UK FZR 1000 EXUP-R Streetfighter @48,000 miles
1993 ZXR 400 L3 UK-spec Track-bike @21,000 miles
1994 ZXR 400 L4 UK-spec Commuter @48,000 miles
1999 Malaguti Phantom F12 scooter with 70cc kit+mods @14,000 miles
Archangel
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Archangel »

I've seen far more offensive paint schemes :)
I've fancied having a go at RC Banger racing for a few years now and have a Mardave chassis in the shed. Trouble is, that's about as far as I've got. Though I did find the time to build a FAV into a sand buggy
fzted
Gift of the Gab
Gift of the Gab

Post by fzted »

Nice Exup mate nice n tidy welcome! my avatar is my new bike by the way if anyone is interested happy dayz :D
Ride it like ya stole it
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

Well that was a nice surprise, straight through the mot with no faults so as of Tuesday when I tax it, it will be back on the road.
I can't believe that it hasn't turned a wheel in over 4 years yet a splash of fresh fuel on top of the old stuff and it ran absolutely spot on, as smooth and fast as ever.
My only gripe is that I had forgotten how bloody uncomfortable it is, does anyone make any sensibly priced risers or any other ideas, I'm sure I'm not the only person who struggles with their wrists.
roadrunner
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Post by roadrunner »

My wrists are ok, it's my neck that gets me. Only after a longish run though. I can usually manage 100 miles or so before it starts to become too painful. :(
With age comes wisdom.......and senility!!! Who are you again?
jas328sport
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by jas328sport »

I remember now that I have always struggled with my wrists on it, ok if I am doing 80mph+ as the wind takes some of my weight off but at legal limits and especially around town I am very uncomfortable.
May explain why the mot shows only 400 miles have been covered in the last 8 years.
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

Beautiful, individual paint job, welcome in.
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
yzfpaul
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by yzfpaul »

welcome to the crazy house at last :)

as for the paint job my first thought was NACHO LIBRE :lol: