Vivian - Banner's streetfighter experiment.

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

as for what the starter motor does, the starter motor turns a gear, that gear turns the starter sprag clutch (what ive drawn above), the gear on the starter sprag clutch has another gear attached to it, that turns a thick chain that goes to the crankshaft.

so when you hit the starter motor it turns the crankshaft.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

Banner, got the part done that you required. Hope its OK. i'll get it in the post tomorrow if possible

AKA Bald headed b'stard
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

ah mate, you are a star!

if you ever need any molecular biology work doing, im your man!
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Thanks for that banner001. :thumbsup:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

banner001 wrote:ah mate, you are a star!
!
If it works OK, will you post pics of how its used so I can file them for reference

Ta
AKA Bald headed b'stard
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

will do, its an adaptor for my current one, ill take some pics when the part gets here.

another plus, my heater has arrived, no longer will i have to endure 2C weather in my man-pit...just gotta try to not get any petrol/solvent on it, its that cold im going to place it just behind me to get the max warmth from it :D

the garage is getting messy, so that needs sorting out soon, got boxes of bits everywhere :D
RAG TOP
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Post by RAG TOP »

nuggitt wrote:
oldskoolexup wrote:Sounds gr8!

Have you got any photos of what you did with starter clutch etc?
I'm glad you asked that question oldskool. I was telling roadrunner the other day about my bike. If I leave it stood for say two month or so and when I come to start it and put it in gear the bike shoots forward and stalls and yes the side stand is up. :( Is that a fault with the starter clutch being dry of oil?

Can someone explain to me (in simple mans talk) what the starter motor does exactly?
nuggitt that's just your clutch plates sticking.next time put it in gear engine not running pull clutch lever in and rock the bike forwards and backwards and you will feel the clutch free off,this will stop the big crunch and bike stalling. :)
no fool like an old fool
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Thanks for that RAG TOP. You're spot on with that diagnosis, because roadrunner explained exactly what you have put to me yesterday. I don't know why I kept thinking it was the starter clutch playing up. :retard: :retard: Thanks again RAG TOP and Roadrunner of course. It's nice to know that I'm in the company of friends with plenty up top. Especially you RAG TOP with that lovely avatar you have. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
willandrip
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by willandrip »

Have you not owned British bikes in the past Nugget.?
Endeavour to persevere.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

willandrip wrote:Have you not owned British bikes in the past Nugget.?
I've owned a couple in the past but I wasn't interested in the moving parts that was in them. I'd put the petrol in and as long as they moved that did it for me will. :lol: :lol:
willandrip
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by willandrip »

It was more of the way they were started Nuggtt;
Clutch lever in;wind it over on kickstart once,let clutch out,feel for compression ,then go for it.
You pulled clutch in at start to free off the sticky plates.!
Stopped you looking a dick when you engaged first without the gearbox making a racket and the bike lunging forward.
It will come back to you in a minute.!!!
Endeavour to persevere.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Ah yes it's all coming back to me now. I remember now where I got all those bad bruisers from around my knee, when you didn't quite get the compression it right. :lol: :lol: :lol:
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

cheers to Stig, the part arrived yesterday and looks cracking!

here it is in the valve spring compressor - basically just a modified g-clamp, and slims the diameter down from 26mm to 14mm...perfect!

dan83590
Earbasher
Earbasher

Post by dan83590 »

Sorry I didn't get the chance to nip down from the bike show, we didn't leave until late and the lads wanted to ride back and the weather was nasty.

Looks good so far and if it turns out anything like the fighter you posted up you'll be onto a winner.

What are your plans with the engine? There are a set of 1040cc pistons on ebay at the moment you may be interested in.
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

if you wanted to see the spring compressor in action:-

first you get it all fixed on the valve and clamp the arm down, this exposes the top of the valve

then i remove the split collets with my magnetised shim-remover

its cold in my garage, but tose are nitrile gloves...good for working with oily things and keeping your hands dirt-free :D