Vivian - Banner's streetfighter experiment.

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

been cleaning up all the old oil and old gasket material from the crankcase half's, got half way through and was almost passing out from solvent fumes even though it was outdoors...i need an organic filter mask :D

upper crankcase half

when my plastigauge gets here i can start the rebuild :D
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

...so thats where im up to currently. need to mock up the rear shock so i can work out with my sister (an architect) the design of the aluminium subframe, then i can loosly re-mount the engine upper and tank so i can work out where to position the fuel pump and new battery box. want to try to mass-centralise the battery so it will be held on the frame instead of the subframe near to the fuel tank...need to get it all sized up.

am currently cleaning bits and pieces...have done all the transmission pieces, will do the crank, connecting rods and pistns next, then i can start to re-assemble the engine back together :D
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

banner001 wrote:f (Image).
:D
Seen that on the custom fighter forum, like it :D

I know I asked for piccies but I didn't expect you to do a complete update last night!

Looking good, you've been busy, keep it up and ignore Stig if he mentions bandwidth :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever!!!
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

i started watching "how its made" last night and forgot to stop watching :D
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Looks like we've got another lovely project on the way. Can't wait to see it finished. Good luck and keep the photos coming. :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

Post by oldskoolexup »

Looking good. :)

Looks like you've done this before!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

oldskoolexup wrote:Looking good. :)

Looks like you've done this before!
haha, nope! most complex thing i have ever done on a bike is fit a new exhaust...until i got this bike i had never held a clutch plate in my hand :D

hoping to have the engine rebuilt for end of february...i have just been told i am getting another pay increase, 1%, we are getting it rebated from august 2012 so that will pay for the tail plastic :D yay! :D
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I'd love to do what you're doing with taking the engine apart but I haven't got the experience or the courage to take it on. Hat's off to you mate. :thumbsup:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth

Post by oldskoolexup »

nuggitt wrote:I'd love to do what you're doing with taking the engine apart but I haven't got the experience or the courage to take it on. Hat's off to you mate. :thumbsup:
I'll second that.

questions to Banner.....what are you doing about gaskets etc and what's the budget?
&
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth

Post by oldskoolexup »

Make sure starter clutch mechanism is in good order before it all goes back together.

You'll find that it's pretty much the last thing that's accesible and requires a full engine strip if it goes faulty.

So far as testing it for damage and clearances is concerned, suggest the other clever one's on here will be better placed to advise. :)
&
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

oldskoolexup wrote:Make sure starter clutch mechanism is in good order before it all goes back together.

You'll find that it's pretty much the last thing that's accessible and requires a full engine strip if it goes faulty.

So far as testing it for damage and clearances is concerned, suggest the other clever one's on here will be better placed to advise. :)
already tested, taken apart, cleaned and re-assembled :D

i mainly took it apart because the steel-bearing things moved out of position when i removed the gear, and you cant put them back without a disassemble...way to design yamaha!

i even checked and double checked that it turns in the correct way (as you remove it upside down like).

for +46,000 the engine is in remarkeable condition internally, externally was a different matter, but that can be sandblasted back to health :D

the selector forks are good, almost no marks to the gear dogs, no visible scratches to the conrod/crank bushings, gudgeon pins came out fine with no marks, all the oil lines seem open and there was very minimal gasket material in the oil pan filter...i am very impressed, especially as its been say for at least 4 of its 23 years idle in a damp garage.

i also attacked the gear shift lever with glacial acetic acid (the purified acid you find in vinegar) and took a wire brush to the rusted end of the drive shaft (where it screws onto the front sprocket), came up good :D
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth

Post by oldskoolexup »

Sounds gr8!

Have you got any photos of what you did with starter clutch etc?
&
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

oldskoolexup wrote:Sounds gr8!

Have you got any photos of what you did with starter clutch etc?
I'm glad you asked that question oldskool. I was telling roadrunner the other day about my bike. If I leave it stood for say two month or so and when I come to start it and put it in gear the bike shoots forward and stalls and yes the side stand is up. :( Is that a fault with the starter clutch being dry of oil?

Can someone explain to me (in simple mans talk) what the starter motor does exactly?
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth

Post by oldskoolexup »

nuggitt wrote:Is that a fault with the starter clutch being short of oil?
I don't think so but I'll let one of the clever lads explain if it is/isn't and how it all works. Ask me about electronics/IT/electricary and basic stuff and I can prob manage though.......
&
banner001
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by banner001 »

ill try to explain it here, what it has is 3 metal cylinders around the edge. these can normally spin freely when the red bit (starter gear) turns counterclockwise. when you hit the starter motor button you turn that gear clockwise, this forces the metal cylinders to hit the springs (green) and roll up the ramp (yellow), this is what "locks" the starter motor only allowing it to turn in 1 direction.

pic 1 - no force applied clockwise

pic 2 as you hit the starter
Image[/quote]