New toy.. What have i done!?

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
parappadog
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

New toy.. What have i done!?

Post by parappadog »

I have just bought this very cheap... couldnt resist it! :nod:

Its a 2004 Ducati 749S monoposto. 14000 genuine miles. full duke history, brand new racetecs, loads of expensive carbon bling, The S model is really trick. adjustable headstock for rake adjustment, tank/seat slide backwards and forwards on slots. all pegs etc multiadjustable.

It needs recommisioning a bit as its been stood a couple of yrs but it is immaculate. I fit a new battery and it cracked straight up sweet. I have booked it in with Ducati John for the Timing belts and valve clearances doing. Ill do everything else myself. Plugs oil fluids etc. :nod:

I have always wanted one but never dared buy one cos of the rep for unreliability they have but at 2k i couldnt really turn it down.. Plus i sold my tuono for 4k so i have also bought a ZX636R on an 04 plate. This was painted by dream machine. power commander and custom mapped with 2 brothers race system, Hyperpro damper, loads of R&G stuff,
I went to isle of man on it and had a right laugh over mountain. It redlines at 16500 rpm :eek:

By parappadog at 2012-06-15
Spending all my money on toys and then trying to find the time to ride em all.. I need a BIGGER garage..
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

both very smart
BUT......

Ducatis are supposed to be RED
AKA Bald headed b'stard
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

Where do you guys find this stuff at these prices??????????????
Keep on keepin' on.
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

Post by oldskoolexup »

Teego wrote:Where do you guys find this stuff at these prices??????????????
Just what I was thinking! :)
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
parappadog
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by parappadog »

I seemed to drop lucky and be in the right place/right time. The lady who owned it is in the RAF and is away 6 months of the year. She is also a sizeable girl :paranoid: and i dont think she was very comfortable on it..

She just wanted it out of the garage. Her loss, my gain! :nod:
Spending all my money on toys and then trying to find the time to ride em all.. I need a BIGGER garage..
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

A nice pair of dog's bollocks you've got yourself there Jon boy. :nod: :D
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
rob w
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by rob w »

Good deal, nice one

I shouln't say it but my 916 has been dead reliable! did the belts myself it's an easy job, only takes an hour, and nothing went wrong after!!!
Mk1 Yam R1, Mk1 EXUP, Duc 916, Blackbird, Kaw Z1, Kaw Z1a, Triumph 900 Daytona & 60's T120 Bonneville (cafe racer with a tuned T140 motor) Aprilia Pegaso, VFR750, Honda XL1000 Varadero
parappadog
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by parappadog »

To be honest i have done hundreds of cambelts over the yrs. (i have been a mechanic for 21yrs) I wasnt sure if u needed any special tools, pins etc.. I have a ducati official 749 service manual and it looks straight forward enough so i might give it a bash.. :nod:
parappadog
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by parappadog »

They weren't nicknamed "ugly betty" for nothing. They ride really well thats for sure and they are pretty trick.. So far im liking mine!

I suppose it helps if your into v twins.. I have had 2 TL's, a VTR Storm and a Tuono R :nod: U cant beat the grunt of a good twin!
rob w
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by rob w »

I borrowed a tension meter but it was awkward to use so I just relied on the belt was right if you could only just get it to kiss the top of the case pushing with your thumb
1st ride I must admit I was nervy but that was last summer and I've had no bother.

I marked everything but beware when my eye was off it one of the top pully's on the rear cylinder span half a turn before I got the new belt on. I had to guess if it was clockwise or anticlockwise then turn the engine over by hand using the back tyre to be sure.
Mk1 Yam R1, Mk1 EXUP, Duc 916, Blackbird, Kaw Z1, Kaw Z1a, Triumph 900 Daytona & 60's T120 Bonneville (cafe racer with a tuned T140 motor) Aprilia Pegaso, VFR750, Honda XL1000 Varadero
rob w
Test Rider
Test Rider

Post by rob w »

999 has grown on me as well. the R will be a classic
parappadog
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by parappadog »

rob w wrote: I marked everything but beware when my eye was off it one of the top pully's on the rear cylinder span half a turn before I got the new belt on. I had to guess if it was clockwise or anticlockwise then turn the engine over by hand using the back tyre to be sure.
It wouldnt have mattered which way u turned it back to line the marks up. the pulleys have keyways so it would have returned to correct position. :nod: