Fangs "new" toy!!

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Not the best pics, but you get the idea :D
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever!!!
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Looking good fang as always :nod:

It won't be long now eh! Another week and it'll be all over bar the shouting. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
Metalface
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Metalface »

Where did you get your air shifter keyring from?
If I have to understand, don't bother to explain.

Yoda wrote:Well mental bikes though, suits you sir.
dieffe
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by dieffe »

Are you saying the red HT leads are no good or just that they are too stiff? The reason I ask is that I have just fitted a set to mine and am now wondering whether I too need to go down the softer silicon route.

Looks like you are nearly there, nice one. :thumbsup:
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Metalface wrote:Where did you get your air shifter keyring from?
The great market place that is EBay of course. :D
Thought a "remove before flight" tag was rather humorous :lol:
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

dieffe wrote:Are you saying the red HT leads are no good or just that they are too stiff? The reason I ask is that I have just fitted a set to mine and am now wondering whether I too need to go down the softer silicon route.

Looks like you are nearly there, nice one. :thumbsup:
No no, they work fine, it's just that they were a cheap option at the time.

If you look back through the thread I got them as a DIY set that had been in someone's garage for a while as the fitment guide didn't list any cars later than 1978ish :eek:

Plus, now I am fitting some blue radiator hoses the red clashes. :lol:

They are also a bit on the stiff side as well....fnarr fnarr! :eek:
Metalface

Post by Metalface »

fang wrote:
Metalface wrote:Where did you get your air shifter keyring from?
The great market place that is EBay of course. :D
Thought a "remove before flight" tag was rather humorous :lol:
But if you remove it the keys come with it and there won't be any flight. :lol: :lol:

I have one on my drag bike, it hangs from the R-clip that prevents the airshifter button being pressed at the wrong time, thus remove before flight. It came like that from MRE the airshifter people. I suppose remove before pressing the button doesn't have the same ring to it. :D

Cool idea though. :nod:

fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

:lol: :lol:

I couldn't find one that said "insert before flight" :D
So went with this one instead :lol:
Metalface

Post by Metalface »

Good choice. :cool:

fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

So, my job lot of Ebay hoses arrived

I was hoping that I could use a single run for the lower hose, but it is slightly too tight a radius and the hose collapses.

Not a problem, I think, I'll use two pieces and one of the elbows...

Unfortunately the elbows are 28mm and not 25mm so wont work (well they will, but it'll look pants as the OD is different)

Pissed of a little I thought I'd investigate the top hose layout and see what I can come up with.

This turns out to be an even bigger arse ache as the thermostat housing has an O/D of 28mm, the tee piece is a diy bit that the previous owner put in with an O/D of 22mm and the rad inlet is 25mm!!

The 25mm hose will squeeze over the thermostat housing OK, but wont compress to fit the tee piece.

I could run it something like this ( obviously with the hoses cut to length) with the use of some correct elbows and connectors

And overcome the tee piece problem with these, hose adaptor and 1/8npt to 8mm stub

So, onto Ebay I go and purchased 1 metre of wire reinforced flexible silicon hose,

which will be enough to do the lower run, and hopefully should leave enough over to do the top hose, providing it'll squeeze over the thermostat housing (what with it being wire reinforced an all)

I will hold fire on purchasing the adaptor until I know if the hose has the required "give" in it. Time will tell.

Bloody impulse Ebay purchasing!!!!!!!!! :crybaby:

Any way, to cheer myself up I manufactured a bracket to neatly mount my two horns instead.

Paper template

Transferred to ally

Nice and neatly tucked away.

Then extended the wiring to operate them.

(I know its childish, but they do look like boobies!!! :D )

dan83590
Earbasher
Earbasher

Post by dan83590 »

I mounted two horns in parallel on my bike and it kept blowing the main fuse. Also when riding if the horn was pressed the engine would die! :angry: I'm gonna relay one side now.

Test yours before you ride out. :nod:
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Cheers for the heads up Dan, but I have two horns on my Exup without issue

Although I will indeed check before riding. :D

If yours is blowing the main fuse it sounds like a short to earth somewhere?
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Small update from the last few days.

Made some brackets to hold my radiator guard in place utilising the original mounting holes.

Then my HT leads arrived, but they had sent me red ones, not blue as ordered!!

So instead of installing them I decided to spray up all the bits and bobs that I could.

Did a little bit of wiring extension to the radiator fan and also took the oportunity to extend the rear brake light wiring as the existing connector is in the firing line for crap from the rear wheel!

(apologies for the below pic, but Photobucket have changed their edit function and I can't see a draw function to add an indication line to the connector I mean, so focus blurred instead)

And whilst the foot mount was off I removed the hose stop on the rear master cylinder as you can guarantee it will be in the way of the hose when I get around to mounting it!

Anyhow the postman arrived with the flexihose so with the rad back in place temporarily I cut the bottom hose to length. ( it looks very blue in the pics, but is less so in real life)

Fits nicely and without kinks, but its too stiff to do the top hose, so I have just ordered a couple of elbows to sort that out along with a hose adaptor and joiner.

more when they arrive :D
yzfpaul
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by yzfpaul »

lookin good as always Ian,

i used that ap autostore for quite a few bits n bobs including my fake
hoover pipes, they were great on the phone too when i was describing
what i needed.

they suggested that flexi silicone in blk but i went with the ribbed rubber
hose instead :D
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

I agree Paul, had a problem with the wrong type of clamps being sent to me, but there customer services seem very good, we'll see if the clamps get here correctly this time :lol:

Anyway, the replacement blue HT leads arrived

So I set about replacing the stiffer copper cored ones, its not obvious but the red ones on the left are "resting" in their installed orientation, where as, in comparison, the blue silicone ones are infinately more flexible.

This in itself made installation a breeze, just needed to smear the outside of the lead with WD40 otherwise it "grabbed" the inside of the spark cap as it was screwed onto the internal post.

It doesn't look it but the revised splash guard and trimmed wiring has helped immensely with the re-installation of the connections.

then my elbows and hose adapters arrived so I could replace the top hose.

I reckon the hose adapter will go a long way in helping the flow when comparing the bore to the original DIY effort.

Got it all mocked up

then ordered the relevant clamps required, but unfortunately I was sent a mix of two types, I ordered the style on the left, but only got sent one of these and all the rest were the type on the right, so I am currently waiting for the replacements to arrive. Not been having much luck in the online ordering department lately.

Any way, in the meantime I decided not to "ruin the ship for a ha'peth of tar" and investigated replacing the adapted water cooled oil filter hoses.
one of them is a straight run, but the other takes a rather tight route round the block and between the casing and front lower engine mount!

So I ordered a 1m length of 13mm flexihose that would hopefully be long enough to do both lines along with some stainless jubilee clips.

Luckily it was flexible enough, more so than the 25mm hose, to make the curves required and long enough to replace both hoses from the one length.

to give the hose a bit of extra abrasion protection where it passes the front engine mount I reused the plastic spiral wrap and held it in place with tape.

All looks good so I took my rad guard outside and gave it a coat of paint

And installed it on the rad along with the new fan switch and temp gauge sensor ready for refitting.

Refitted the expansion bottle and rad, just need to wait for the clamps to arrive so I can fill her up and test for leaks. :D