Thunder Fighter

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
thunder_taz
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Thunder Fighter

Post by thunder_taz »

Hi guys

I won't waffle, here is my 96 Thunderace before I got bored with it:

As I was in the process of breaking a Speed Triple for parts I though I would see if I could graft S3 lights and nose fairing on. I had originally tried to mount the original Ace clocks on the triple nose fairing, like so.

While the clocks fitted nicely, the bracketry, routing speedo cable etc was a nightmare so I went the digital clock route and got the Koso DB-01R

Next was to sort out this :

Into this:

Now it all lives under the airbox, though it will need tidying up!!!

Next was the radiator, which was replaced with a FZR 1000 RU rad courtesy of Creed. Plumbs right in, though needed to shorten the Ace hoses and will need to fiddle with brackets, which is why it looks off centre in this pic:

and this is how it looks at the mo:

Once the rad is bracketed up I plan on fitting a digital temp gauge is the Koso clocks don't include one and try and replace the fuel sender in the tank so I can use the fuel gauge on the clocks. These are the two items I plan on trying to fit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230608193177? ... 1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110520038490? ... 1439.l2649

Once all the front is done and dusted, will look into replacing rear plastics and then think about getting it all one colour. Colourwise I am thinking Triumph roulette green or acid yellow.
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department

Post by creedxup »

Glad the rad plumbed straight in,

What rear end are you going to fit ??

Seeing as the exhaust downpipes are on show, if you clean off the worst of the rust and spray it with heat resistant paint (I use high temp barbecue spray paint fron B&Q) it will do wonders.
1992 RU midnight blue, Wiseco 1070, 6 speed, r1 calipers, ducati discs , 157 bhp crank, Ohlins shock
thunder_taz
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by thunder_taz »

Not sure on back end yet... may use the tail from the Speed Triple I am breaking possibly. Will be putting more thought into that once I have got the front sorted out.

Yes the downpipes do look a bit crap at the mo and one of my jobs will be to repaint them along with the front fork bottoms.