Fangs "new" toy!!

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

fang wrote:
nuggitt wrote:If my opinion's worth owt. :paranoid:

I think that can looks fine as it is. It's all down to budget, but like you say if anything better comes along ok but if it doesn't I think it wears it well. :nod: :nod:
Very diplomatic, you could be a politician!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I used to be but, I got clobbered when the expediture scandal came to light.

Only kidding but thanks for the insult :lol: :p :p :p :p
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Right then, while waiting for the rivets to arrive I busied myself with other tasks.

The stainless exhaust springs arrived, so I gave them a quick buff, (one polished one not!)

So with this done I welded the relevant hooks onto the link pipe, cut some grooves in one end to aid fitting and gave it a blast of "woodstove" paint as I had run out of the High temp paint.

Then yesterday when I got home from work to discover the link pipe was still tacky, on reading the can it requires the "stove" to be lit for 10 minutes to cure the paint.

As the FZ has no fuel or battery, and I couldn't be arsed swapping the bits from the Exup. I used the oven instead, 200 degrees C for 20 mins, no one tell Lisa :D

Once that had cooled down I could set about drilling my rearset to add an aditional mount for the can bracket, as it could all too easily pivot on a single one.

So with can installed, lines scribed and measurements taken off came the rearset hanger to be drilled and counter sunk.

I was so pleased with the result that I decided to countersink the mounting point for the rear brake switch as well.

Much better

So that brings me to today, which, after giving the support bracket a bit of a clean up and polish,

was mainly spent sorting out a rear brake reservoir bracket.
I decided that I wanted the resi to be positioned about here.

So had a look through the ally cut offs that I had and came up with this.

After a bit of fettling

Then the postie arrived with my rivets so the end can looked like a hedgehog for a spell, at least thats finished now.

Then finally started to sort out the rear brake reservoir mounting issue, as it sits rather close to the pipe, and all the adjustment is used up.
So I removed it from the bike and trimmed a little off the threaded shaft and the top of the adjuster to gain the extra room needed, and also used a bit of the ally tubing to make a spacer.

Then decided the rusty screw looked a bit shabby and could do with replacing, which led to me dismantling it all and painting it :lol: :lol: :lol:

So thats a little more done on the never ending stroll towards the finish line. :D
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever!!!
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

went to continue work in the garage to be met by this little fella having a nap!!

seeing as I dont have the doors open after dark (getting too cold now) he must have wandered in during the day, which is usually a sign of ill health, that combined with a snotty discharge from his nose meant a trip to "Foxy Lodge" a local rescue centre, anyway once he was safely dropped off it was back to work.

Re-assembled and mounted the rear master cylinder

Then started her to see how loud the can was!!

Vid below!!

Not overly loud, but it is blowing from the connection but some fire cement will sort that, but it is also running on 3.5 cylinders as one keeps dropping in and out, so more investigation needed there.

Also the Exup servo is chattering away, but that turned out to be in need of adjustment on the cables and the valve lubed and cleaned again.
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

To say it was running inside the garage. It wasn't as loud as I thought it was going to be. It sounds very nice lad :nod: :nod:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
faststeve
Technician
Technician

Post by faststeve »

while your checking for air leaks check the ally manifold to head joint , i had one with a slight leak , put hylomar blue on it and solved the prob ,,, your bike looks bloody good by the way , really nice set up and looks totaly right , i must get some pics of mine and e mail them to you , just been bloody busy ,
iv only had bikes for 40 years , what do i know ???????
faststeve
Technician
Technician

Post by faststeve »

been over the pics . the can looks good ,
iv only had bikes for 40 years , what do i know ???????
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Cheers Faststeve, I know what you mean about being busy!!

Well its been a while since my last update, trying to muster the enthusiasm to remove the carbs AGAIN and look for leaks, plus other stuff to deal with.

So today I went outside to run her and spray the inlet rubbers with WD40 to try and confirm a leak is present, but to my delight she is running perfectly.

So I will leave well alone for the meantime and revisit if the issue reappears!!

Vids below (Is there a way to embed Videos into the forum? I think I managed to do it way back when I first had her running but now I cant seem to get it to work, ie if you click on the vid it opens a new page and takes you to photobucket!!)

Any how Vids below (click on pics) not offensively loud IMHO

But in the meantime I've got hold of another rear wheel, without dink, without a warped disc and even the tyre aint bad, just needs a good clean!

And a pair of horns turned up the other day as well........got to stay legal!

nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Sounds good to me lad. :nod: :nod: :nod: :thumbsup:
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester

Post by oldskoolexup »

sounds lovely :D
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone,
Learn from the mistakes of others.............................
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by YAMAEXUP »

I had a problem with ignition leads which caused a misfire. The silicone ones that I put on when the Dyna coils were first installed gave no problems until they'd done about 25,000 miles, then they started to break down with heat. I then bought some copper cored lead & reused the connectors from the Taylor leads & the misfire went.

As for the inlet manifolds...when I had the head off so's to do the piston rings I took off the manifolds to find that the inlet 'O' rings had shrunk. A smear of blue Hylomar & job done. The original inlet rubbers had also seen better days as the original owner had hacked out the dam (restrictor) with a bread knife by the look of the job that he'd done. So I bought some new ones meant for the Foxeye Exup, which come without the dam in place as standard.
Bikes-they're in the blood.

www.blood.co.uk
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I'm just wondering what's happened to this project? Since he started growing that hairy slug on his top lip the photos have dried up. What's the matter, can't you pull yourself away from the mirror you handsome dog. :lol: :lol: :p
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

nuggitt wrote:I'm just wondering what's happened to this project? Since he started growing that hairy slug on his top lip the photos have dried up. What's the matter, can't you pull yourself away from the mirror you handsome dog. :lol: :lol: :p
Cheeky sod!! :finger:

If truth be known, I am waiting till Christmas is over before continuing due to a few reasons.

Main reason being that my birthday is 10 days before Christmas and there are bits for the project on my Xmas/birthday list, so can't buy anything until I see what I get (some say tight, I say frugel :D)

Secondly, this is the busiest time of year for me at work (Royal Mail) so I am pooped by the end of the day!

and thirdly, growing my Tache for Movember absorbs any energy I may have left..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am planning on getting her on the road this year so it will continue, not like the start of this thread where I only seemed to update once a year after the BMF!!!!
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

YAMAEXUP wrote:I had a problem with ignition leads which caused a misfire. The silicone ones that I put on when the Dyna coils were first installed gave no problems until they'd done about 25,000 miles, then they started to break down with heat. I then bought some copper cored lead & reused the connectors from the Taylor leads & the misfire went.

As for the inlet manifolds...when I had the head off so's to do the piston rings I took off the manifolds to find that the inlet 'O' rings had shrunk. A smear of blue Hylomar & job done. The original inlet rubbers had also seen better days as the original owner had hacked out the dam (restrictor) with a bread knife by the look of the job that he'd done. So I bought some new ones meant for the Foxeye Exup, which come without the dam in place as standard.
The leads I got were copper cored so lets hope thats the end of it :D one of the things on my Xmas list is a set of inlet rubbers, so I'm waiting to see if I get them, if not I'll buy them myself and while I'm at it check the inlet manifold O rings, but as that means dropping the coolant out it would be an ideal time to put on a radiator guard DO YOU HEAR THAT STIG, RADIATOR GUARD, NUDGE NUDGE, WINK WINK :D
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

I hear you :nod:

I've got someone to sort the cad files for me but....

I'm waitng on the dimensions for the original from another member
I'm intending on making it about the same style with the FZR wording and horizontal slots so will need specs for that too.
Also, depending on how sucessful they become i'l probably do them for the 750 and Ace too if theres enough interest and the price is right
AKA Bald headed b'stard
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

I believe the Rad fitted to the FZ is an Exup R model not the deeper RU one.

I will check and get back to you, though if you could do one I don't know if I'd want the FZR logo, but that being said it will depend on the price :D :D