Fangs "new" toy!!

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

You have forgotten about this :D

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever!!!
yzfpaul
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by yzfpaul »

now that is lookin good ian buddy

what you need is a rad mesh guard

p.m yamaexup he makes em and makes em nice :nod:
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

I AM YOUR PERFORMING MONKEY :D

You mention the pipe needs shortening, I oblige.

To start with side by side comparison.

Then begins the process of drilling out rivets, removing inner, deciding upon a suitable length, and finally cutting carefully with a hacksaw.

Next the fun began as its not simply a case of cutting the inner to match.
The perforated inner pipe is fitted with a stainless collar that slides into a taper mounted to the exit spout.

and as the perforated tube has the same OD as the taper it wont fit, so it meant cutting the perforated tube to length and welding the two halves together.

Put a bit of wood down the bore to make sure they aren't welded on the piss only to discover another issue.

That being the inlet to the can is not inline with the outlet, not a problem when the can is full length as there is only a slight offset, BUT when shortened this offset becomes greater, requiring a dogleg to be put in the inner pipe!!

Doesn't look much and dont look pretty, but took an age to get right with cutting, tacking , test fitting, re adjusting, etc etc etc.

Then spent a good 30 mins with a flap wheel making sure the carbon sleeve is square so that the inlet collar has ample material for rivetting.

Anyhow, finished can comparison shot, just need to get some stainless rivets

then wheeled it outside for another few shots :D

Needs tucking in a bit more, willl see if I can tweek the link pipe, or may see if a high level one from an R1/6 will fit.
Also need to sort out a support bracket, but a definate improvement :D
bikerman90
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by bikerman90 »

something like this anygood to ya? if i remember right its for a 5JJ model R1, i bought it for mine but never got round to fitting it

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

the tube i bought to extend the pillion pegs out.
Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, coz Chuck Norris only recognizes the element of surprise.
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Bikerman90 PM sent :D
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Would be nice to get the can up at this height

:D :D
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

No updates as I'm waiting for bits, but thought I'd do a before and after pic montage.

:D

fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Got fed up looking at the bare throttle tube in the pics, so rooted out a matching grip and put it on.
Then had to re route the switchgear wiring as it was getting nipped between the tank and the forks, and this gave me the incentive to install the master cylinders.

However, because of the flat nature of the drag bars the end of the clutch M/C touches the top yoke, not really a problem but it limits the angle between bar and lever which at the position where its comfortable to ride, it makes fitting the fluid line akward.

(white towels hung so you can see the outline of the bike as it was blending into the black racking behind :D)

so after removing the lines and draining the fluid (for easier installation) I tried a few sets of other bars I have lying about.

Drag bars

Blue "Renthal wannabes", too much like cowhorns!!

Black high bars, too high and narrow

So I will perservere with the drag bars for now, as I like the look and feel when sat on the bike, although I do have another set of low rise bars coming.
The other option is to increase the height of my risers by 20mm, but I'll see how these other bars work out first. :D

Any way, after this I wheeled her outside to mull over exhaust mounting options!!

I mentioned earlier that it would be nice to mount the can up high, so out with the bungee cords to look at the options.

stumpy

pushed rearward

Not bad, but it fills the space between the seat unit and rear wheel, which I rather like, and it has the potential to melt my number plate once fitted!!

So I then looked at low slung options

Kicked up high

Following the line of the undertray

Flattened out

Of these I prefer the middle option, with maybe a bit shortened from the link pipe,

top pic actual, bottom pic photochopped

What do ya reckon????
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Teego »

Last pic is getting there. I think the tucked in look is the way to go. Also needs to look tucked from the rear.
Keep on keepin' on.
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Teego wrote:Last pic is getting there. I think the tucked in look is the way to go. Also needs to look tucked from the rear.
Yep, you could be right Teego, until

TING

HUGE spanner in the works, this arrived, won it on Ebay 4 days ago when I was sussing out the exhaust location, purely for the link pipe.

Looks good, although in this orientation I cant use the rear brake or get my foot on the peg.

but with a little adaptation to the conection,ie adding a bit and altering the angle slightly, I could get it to work, but I may melt my numberplate and overheat the indicators, and does the link pipe look silly bowing out that far??

I'm in a quandry now :retard: :D
Teego

Post by Teego »

Try rotating that link pipe clockwise. It might give you more clearance around the footpeg and bring the bend closer to the bike.
Keep on keepin' on.
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Teego wrote:Try rotating that link pipe clockwise. It might give you more clearance around the footpeg and bring the bend closer to the bike.
unfortunately rotating it clockwise just results in the can being swivelled outboard of the bike.

Its gonna take a bit of modding to get it right, but I have someone that can Tig weld stainless, so all I have to do is prepare it all. :D
Ron E
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly

Post by Ron E »

bike looks great, and very nice work on your part... i'll be using your info and pic's here for my build i'm working on now, coolant catch tank, bars, lights and tail section are all things i need to address on my project fzr1000. excellent work.
92 fzr1000 project
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

No worries Ron, it's not like I can claim copyright after posting it all on a public forum in great detail :lol:

There are a couple of other RU's on here that have been semi fightered. The subframe scallops always seem to be the difficult area when trying to fit a different seat unit, the R's seem to be an easier option, but hey we all like a challenge :D
Grim Reaper
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by Grim Reaper »

The exhaust has got to be in the higher level. If you had chosen to put it down low it would have spoiled all the hard work you've put into this.

Is there not a place that you can drive into and they custom make link pipes for you? Can't remember the name of the place now :rolleyes: