home fit alarms

Here's your chance to tell us about the best (and worst!) bits of biking kit or accessories you've bought. Real-world reviews from real riders!
DarkFool
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

home fit alarms

Post by DarkFool »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CYCLONE-MOTORBIKE ... 2c4eb03012

Anyone had any experiance with anything like this?, looks pretty good

Getting concerned after my neighbour caught two guys sniffing around my bike at 3 in the morning :mad:

Already added an additional lock and will be looking for a ground anchor at the weekend, but had a datatool sys 4 on my old 600 and it made me feel alot better knowing it was there
1990 FZR 1000 R

No One Ever Suspects The Fool
Metalface
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by Metalface »

I've wondered about these myself. :nod:
If I have to understand, don't bother to explain.

Yoda wrote:Well mental bikes though, suits you sir.
joeboy

Post by joeboy »

ive got one of those or very similar on both of my bikes they are good, but drain the battery over a long period even when you dont arm them.

I have taken the lives off both bikes to stop them killing them slowly.
GOVERNMENT WARNING!:
If you are having individual free thoughts please switch on your TV immediately and watch x factor, or go shopping, or buy a happy meal, free thought will lead to extremism.
skyerae
Factory Rider
Factory Rider

Post by skyerae »

Got a Cyclone C-11 version on my Exup. It start with the key fob and the ignition is disconnected (first place thieves start) If you knock the bike, when it is armed it tells you that the bike is alarmed and to please step away. It reminds you to arm the alarm as well if you have the talking version. All alarm systems drain the battery but if you have the correct battery (unlike my 750 battery which tries to run a 1000) and use it frequently it isn't an issue. If used infrequently get a top-up charger. There is a wiring manual for the specific bike and free technical support. They are even willing to help me ands it was fitted by the previous owner. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE ALARMS.
If you can't do a job properly, don't do it at all !!!
joeboy

Post by joeboy »

Get a ground anchor and a big lock and chain. I also always carry a disklock with me and it goes on even if I nip in the shop. If you get an alarm try and get a scooter one that has a rechargable battery inside that only charges from an ignition live, they are hard to find but available.

I have 2 of these alarms but only ever wired the basic functions ie. just a + and - to the battery as I did not want to splice my loom for remote starting or immobilising. I dont use them anymore as they were killing my batteries when I left my bike. The very worst thing you can do to a battery is discharge it slowly over a long period. I was sick of shelling out for new ones every spring. My bikes stay either outside or in my mums garage both places have no mains supply for a top up charger.

Safest bet is to wire a siren up to a tilt switch this will only take power from the battery when the bike is moved to the upright position.
GOVERNMENT WARNING!:
If you are having individual free thoughts please switch on your TV immediately and watch x factor, or go shopping, or buy a happy meal, free thought will lead to extremism.
Metalface

Post by Metalface »

My bike is connected to an Optimate trickle charger whenever I'm not using it so I won't notice a drain on the battery. I'll probably get one of these alarms I think. :nod:

I don't need it at home anyway cause my bikes going nowhere without me, I just want one for when I'm out and about, not that I leave it much anyway. :)

DarkFool
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by DarkFool »

Thanks for the input, i've just ordered mine now so i'll see what its like soon
1990 FZR 1000 R

Metalface

Post by Metalface »

Cool, if its shit let me know then I don't buy one. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DarkFool
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic

Post by DarkFool »

well finaly got round to fitting it, spent about an hour an a half cos my looms a mess, but went in nice and easy. connecting it up as alarm and immobiliser was a lot easier then i thought it would be, just need to alter the sensitivity now and check it hasn't killed my battery by morning.

one slight annoyance is that when i removed the side panel i found my exup cables stretched that bad they'd come off the servo, so thats the next job
1990 FZR 1000 R

bikerman90
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder

Post by bikerman90 »

so come on lads, you've had these fitted for a while now, verdicts p[lease as last nite some oik robbed my cb125 i had just rebuilt and it was parked near my blade so i have moved it for a while, both bikes were locked up and chained but the still took the 125 and i had a feeling they would probably come back for the blade. so its time i fitted something that makes noise :)
Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, coz Chuck Norris only recognizes the element of surprise.