Fangs "new" toy!!

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Well it was a piss poor day today, so I couldn't paint the frame outside, so I did it inside!!

Makeshift spray booth

whilst that was drying I set about making some space so I could swap bits between frames

and rigged up a "Heath Robinson" engine support to enable the removal of the front end rear end

realising I would need to take the exhaust off at some point I removed the support and removed the exhaust sooner rather than later.

Front end out and forks dismantled

Good job really as the springs were in upside down, or at least one of them was!!

That just left the akward job of removing the damping rod, so with info found on this site, Cheers Yamaexup :D

http://www.exup1000.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9811

I nipped off to the local hardware store to get a 30mm nut that can be welded to a socket to make a tool to help.

By the time I got back it was too late to continue as its Paddy's day so off to the pub for a few Guinnesseseses :drunk:
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever!!!
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

just lovin this post!! :cool:

a few things.....

great idea on the sink...was gunna do a similar thing below my miller to save the cutting fluid but change of plans etc

seems yours and everyone elses BD workmate is in the same condition and used for similar purposes :D

IF you want to bling the rear end, give me a shout and I can sort you some stainless bones ...length up to you

where did you get the stainless stuff...coz I'm sure others will ask :nod:

oh, and i've saved the images of the fork tool to use in the update i'm still doing...if thats OK with you. Pictures are always better than words in this instance
AKA Bald headed b'stard
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Watching you do all this is better than the TV. It's good to see the transplant from one to another.

One question from me is, is that an extended socket bar your using for that home made fork tool? If so can you buy them that length and what length is it?? I've had a sheltered life you know really :lol:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Apoligies for the short reply above, was about to go out, but wanted to answer at least one of the points :lol:
Stig wrote:just lovin this post!! :cool:

a few things.....

seems yours and everyone elses BD workmate is in the same condition and used for similar purposes :D

IF you want to bling the rear end, give me a shout and I can sort you some stainless bones ...length up to you

oh, and i've saved the images of the fork tool to use in the update i'm still doing...if thats OK with you. Pictures are always better than words in this instance
a few answers.........

Yep workmate is "well used and abused"

Will be intouch regarding the dogbones when I get to that stage.

And I cant really protest about the picture saving seeing as I'm posting on a public forum :D

So save away my good friend :lol:
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Stig wrote:: oh and i've saved the images of the fork tool to use in the update i'm still doing...if thats OK with you. Pictures are always better than words in this instance
Forgot to add that full credit for the tool should go to Yamaexup as he got there first :D :D :D

http://www.exup1000.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9811

dont want to be sued for copyright infringement :paranoid:

otherwise I'll not be able to afford to finish the project :eek:
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

For those that are interested about the stainless nuts and bolts, this is what I recieved

and yes it does add up to 560 pcs :finger:
would be better if the 5mm and 6mm quantities were the other way round but cant grumble for the price. :D
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Not done much today, did think about using FZ front wheel, as its white, instead of the exup one, save painting it.

So had a little measure up to see whats what
Same size rims

spindle size is different but that can be resolved by swapping the bearings.
Speedo drive measures up the same but the other side has a 2mm difference so thats a no go,

oh well white paint here we come.

Seeing as I couldn't just swap the bearings and seals between the wheels, I turned my efforts to another task.......the shock!

"Patented" spring removal tool

So the shocks ready for paint, just got to clean the spring.

After work tomorrow I shal be off to Wilkinsons to purchase some gun metal grey paint for the shock and fork lowers and some yellow for the spring..........Ohlins???? :unibrow:
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

Ayup fang PM sent mate.

Feel free to tell me to bog off. :lol:
Bit of advice. Buy a good bed and a good pair of shoes, because if you aren't in one you'll be in the other.
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

First pic is purely for Nuggitt

:D

Right then, not much done today after getting into town after work for paint but here it is.

Spent about an hour with a cheap "dremel" type tool cleaning up the spring

Then set about painting, but whilst rotating it to paint the under side I dropped it so had to start again :crybaby:

This time I devised a better method for holding and rotating the spring.

In between coats on the spring I gave the shock its coat of satin black.

So thats what got done today, spring and shock drying in the garage, ready for tomorrow, which will hopefully be second colour on the shock and rub down/spray the forks.

Then I'll have to try and re-assemble the shock without damaging the paint too much!!!! :paranoid:
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stig »

shame your not closer...I coulda put that in the blast cabinet for you..5 mins, it'd be done :nod:
AKA Bald headed b'stard
nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the photo fang. :nod:

That looks like a Ohlins shock to me mate. :thumbsup: :lol:
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

Stig wrote:shame your not closer...I coulda put that in the blast cabinet for you..5 mins, it'd be done :nod:
Tis the problem with living in Naarfuk, miles from everywhere :D

The blast cab had better not be in your garage as we are all still waiting for pics of the man cave :unibrow:
fang
Pit-lane Reporter
Pit-lane Reporter

Post by fang »

nuggitt wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the photo fang. :nod:

That looks like a Ohlins shock to me mate. :thumbsup: :lol:
No worries bud :D

I have actually got an Ohlins for my RU, just not had a chance to fit it yet
Blue springed shock was a Quadrant but has since been sold.

nuggitt

Post by nuggitt »

I'm not hijacking your thread fang but I've just read a post on the FZR1000 forum where somebody is asking if you can take the spring off the shocker without a spring compressor tool. Apparently according to a chappy on there you undo the two nuts and the spring loses it's tension and you can take the spring off. I didn't think it was possible because surely the spring would still be under some tension. Is he right or am I wrong??