my new SPRINT

Post your pictures here: your bikes, meets you've attended, modifications you've made, x-rays you've had taken...
nsw9154
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

my new SPRINT

Post by nsw9154 »

http://s616.photobucket.com/albums/tt24 ... =slideshow

sorry for it being a slide show i am just learning - but this bike is AWSOM i thought my FZR 1000 RU EXUP was fast this thing frightened me just running it in and i had to restrain myself to keep it to just 3500rpm for the 1st 100 miles only done 50miles :\ because it started to rain and i got cought in the rush hour traffic so i went home i will keep you all posted :nod: :finger:
joeboy
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's

Post by joeboy »

Did you not try the new way of running in then?

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
GOVERNMENT WARNING!:
If you are having individual free thoughts please switch on your TV immediately and watch x factor, or go shopping, or buy a happy meal, free thought will lead to extremism.
nsw9154
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by nsw9154 »

:eek: :paranoid: :( seems a bit extreem joeboy i can see the logic but just not sure weather i want to take the risk
joeboy

Post by joeboy »

They recon its tried and tested..if it goes bang its under warranty if it works you have a much better faster bike.
GOVERNMENT WARNING!:
If you are having individual free thoughts please switch on your TV immediately and watch x factor, or go shopping, or buy a happy meal, free thought will lead to extremism.
parappadog
Commentary Team
Commentary Team

Post by parappadog »

I agree with Joe on this one :nod: I have built hundreds of engines over the last 19 yrs (cars and bikes) and i think the official running in methods are utter bollox!! There is a lot of truth in the article which joe put on here.. :nod:

An example- A friend of mine bought a 205 gti 1.9 brand new and thrashed the tits off it from day one.. That car was an absolute missile, used no oil (and that particular engine design was bad for it due to rings and also valve guides wearing) and it was very reliable..It was certainly the fastest pug i have ever driven :nod:
Spending all my money on toys and then trying to find the time to ride em all.. I need a BIGGER garage..
nsw9154
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by nsw9154 »

:( :eek: :paranoid: well i will be taking it out today - yesterday i just washed and polished it :rolleyes: yea i am a sad git - :nod: but i might give it a try - only done 52 miles on it so i might give it a good thrash for the next 50 -60 or :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: - i will let you know if it goes BANG er whats yer address again so i can send the bill :finger:
joeboy

Post by joeboy »

Noo you dont thrash the tits off it..

On the Street:
Warm the engine up completely:
Because of the wind resistance, you don't need to use higher gears like you would on a dyno machine. The main thing is to load the engine by opening the throttle hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

Realistically, you won't be able to do full throttle runs even in 2nd gear on most bikes without exceeding 65 mph / 104 kph. The best method is to alternate between short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration. You don't have to go over 65 mph / 104 kph to properly load the rings. Also, make sure that you're not being followed by another bike or car when you decelerate, most drivers won't expect that you'll suddenly slow down, and we don't want
anyone to get hit from behind !!

The biggest problem with breaking your engine in on the street (besides police) is if you ride the bike on the freeway (too little throttle = not enough pressure on the rings) or if you get stuck in slow city traffic. For the first 200 miles or so, get out into the country where you can vary the speed more
and run it through the gears !

Be Safe On The Street !
Watch your speed ! When you're not used to the handling of a new vehicle, you should accelerate only on the straightaways, then slow down extra early for the turns. Remember that both hard acceleration and hard engine braking (deceleration) are equally important during the break in process.
GOVERNMENT WARNING!:
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Just don't ride it uphill in top gear at 20mph. You don't want to load the motor that way. Thrapping it around is fine so long as your not causing excess strain on the motor where its having to "work" hard rather than "run" hard. A mate races 1970's 2 strokes and a coupla Nortons. Both known to go bang on occasions. He warms the engine thoroughly about 80c engine temperature not water temperature, and then does an easy lap and then thraps the knackers off them, going faster each lap till their running flat out on the final lap. I ran my Cat in for 100 miles, then just rode it like normal. Gotta admit it went a hell of a lot better after the next 100 miles. :nod: :D
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

But its your bike and you've paid a lot of money for it, so you do what you think is best. :nod: :nod:
Billy Balthorpe
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy

Re: my new SPRINT

Post by Billy Balthorpe »

nsw9154 wrote:http://s616.photobucket.com/albums/tt24 ... =slideshow

sorry for it being a slide show i am just learning - but this bike is AWSOM i thought my FZR 1000 RU EXUP was fast this thing frightened me just running it in and i had to restrain myself to keep it to just 3500rpm for the 1st 100 miles only done 50miles :\ because it started to rain and i got cought in the rush hour traffic so i went home i will keep you all posted :nod: :finger:
I wouldnt have thought that the Sprint would have felt as fast as the EXUP. I thought they were supposed to be on a par/a bit better than the VFR800? I've ridden enough Viffers to know they are not and dont feel as fast as an EXUP
nsw9154
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey

Post by nsw9154 »

:( :\ aint been out on it since i picked it up the weather has been horrible and i dont want to take it out in the wet just yet i am waiting for my skidmarx rear hugger to help stop the rear end getting full of crap - :paranoid: i think i will run it in normal till atleast 100 miles than give it the odd blast and deceleration 5000 rpm is good for 80 so that will do me for the moment till i get used to it - and what i ment by it being faster than the EXUP was it is smoother at low revs and you can feel the power without having to give it loads of revs - throttle response is smoother must be the fuel injection dont get me wrong the EXUP is awsom but i always found it hard work riding it in town and i always wanted to get on the open road as soon as possible :) :nod: