Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Meets & Rideouts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuggitt
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Ride to Kirkby Lonsdale Town Reply with quote

I had a ride out today. Instead of going straight to Devils Bridge like I usually do. I decided to visit the market town of Kirkby Lonsdale first. It's a lovely quaint little place and well worth visiting. After spending an hour having a walk round and some lunch I then went on to Devils bridge. From there I headed for Sedbergh, Hawes and Leyburn.

It was a lovely ride out until I was on the Boroughbridge to York road, and I was following a transit van at 60mph. All of a sudden a sunken manhole appeared and my front wheel hit it with such force that my steering locked up. It was the same sensation as having a flat front tyre. I managed to get the bike stopped and checked to see if I had a flat tyre, but no it was fine.

I went around the bike looking for the problem but couldn't see anything. I then got sat on the bike and got hold of the handlebars and turned them to the left and something clicked/clunked, and then the handlebars freed themselves. I rode home at a steady pace because it felt very weird. After arriving home I got the front wheel off the floor and and checked for play in the head race bearings and there was a lot of play. It seems the bang has damaged the roller bearings. I was very lucky that I was on a straight bit of road.

If I'd have been going round a left hand bend I would've gone straight on into oncoming traffic or a field. eek eek eek

I have a brand new spare set of headrace bearings, so that's my weekend sorted out.

Here's a few photos of the day. big grin

creedxup
Parts department
Parts department
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you were lucky to stay on the bike, well done!

I hit a nasty pothole on my ZX12 a few years ago and badly buckled both wheels so I feel your pain.

Itíll be interesting to see what damage you did to your headstock/bearings, itís possible that you ďBrinelledĒ the bearing. Which is basically denting the bearing race which will cause a notchy feeling but wouldnít cause play in the headstock.
When I hit my 2nd deer on my EXUP I thought Iíd done the same thing as I had headstock play but when I went to fit new bearings, the top one just dropped straight in as Iíd ovalled the headstock 😳 Iím crossing my fingers that you havenít done the same thing.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creedxup wrote:

When I hit my 2nd deer on my EXUP I thought Iíd done the same thing as I had headstock play but when I went to fit new bearings, the top one just dropped straight in as Iíd ovalled the headstock 😳 Iím crossing my fingers that you havenít done the same thing.

eek eek eek
nuggitt
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creedxup wrote:

Thatís what Iím wondering about and I have a very strong gut feeling that Iíve cracked the headstock or like you itís ovalled it. Iíll be finding out today because itís getting stripped down so hereís praying itís all ok. 🙏

Itís not a nice sensation at all when the steering locks up and all you can do is go in a straight line and trying to slow down the best you can while youíve got impatient car drivers behind wondering what youíre playing at. 😳😳😳☹️

Last edited by nuggitt on Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
nuggitt
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all good news.

The headstock is in good condition. There's no damage done so I've been really lucky. There is some scoring on both of the bearing inner races.

I'm just waiting for some dust seals to arrive and then I can start to build it all back up again. It's taken all day to get the front end stripped down. The hardest part was getting the old bottom bearing race off the stem. It was a real pain in the butt, after an hour if finally came off.

While I'm waiting for the seals to come. I'll give all the front end a good clean up

creedxup
Parts department
Parts department
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news 👍
Goshreally2
Spanner Monkey
Spanner Monkey
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like your riding experience paid off and you kept yourself upright and pride and maintenance means the bike won't be out for long. Good for you mate, glad things worked out well.
nuggitt
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

Once I get my bearing dust seals Iíll have it all put back together in a day and a half. Im giving everything around the front end a good clean up because as you know you can never get to all the nooks and crannies when the top half fairing is on.

Iíve argued this manhole cover issue for years. When the highways dept are building a road why do they have to put manhole covers in the road, why canít they put them on the footpaths or on grass verges out of everybodyís way??? If and when thereís a problem with the services underneath them you donít have to close the road off to do any repairs and all the suspension problems etc on all vehicles will disappear apart from potholes that is. Iíd better get off my soapbox now because Iíll start to have a paddy soon. 🤪 👍
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Meets & Rideouts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: