Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Reviewed & Recommended
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuggitt
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Carnaby Plastic Coaters Reply with quote

I thought I'd pass this info on to the lads in the East Yorkshire area. I've just had some items plastic coated this week by Carnaby Plastic Coatings. They were looking very scruffy, what with rust, chips and scratches etc. I took them in last Monday and I didn't think I'd get them back till after the New Year. On Wednesday dinner time I got a phone call from them saying they were done and ready for collecting. eek I couldn't believe it. smile

Some people may poo poo the price of 70 but that included blasting too. I've been promising myself to ge this bike in to a better shape than it is. I couldn't do anything like this whilst I was living overseas. Damn right impossible. cry baby cry baby

They even get the thumbs up from roadrunner and he's very top quality orientated, so they must be good. laugh laugh

I'm now sat in the back bedroom giving them a good coating of auto glym before I fit them back on the bike tomorrow. Don't tell the wife Mike she doesn't know what I'm up to in here. She'll go beserk when she sees the white wet patch of wax on the top sheet. And yes it is wax. raspberry

Here's the link and a few photos of the items I've had done. I can highly recommend them. nod nod

http://www.carnaby-powder-coatings.co.uk/

Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice going John thumbsup

I've currently got a second rear subframe fitted that I had powder coated (20) but it must have been SLIGHTLY bent at some point so am going to get the OEM part done and swap it back

I'd not thought of getting the oil rail done or the main front fairing stay so will have a look at them too at the same time. Thats the only prob about keeping the bike in the Vac bag over winter....i cant get to strip it and have the bits still attached to the bike sorted during winter....they'll have to wait til spring. Mind I now have the 2 spare sets of folks ready for a rebuild, ohlins spings and the fork bottoms to get polished so have plenty to keep me busy (and the extra collet adapters to make for members and myself)

As for the top fairing stay, I have a few of them and intend to have one of them chromed along with a spare set of air intake toobs

so much to do and so little spare time cry baby
nuggitt
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stig wrote:

so much to do and so little spare time cry baby

I know what you mean stig It's been a long time in coming for me and I'm loving every minute of it. nod nod

Only problem I have is that my garage feels a bit damp in this weather. cry baby cry baby I'll have to get round the old girl and see if I can get the bike in the kitchen. laugh I've more chance of winning the euro lottery 3 times in a row. laugh laugh laugh
willandrip
Test Rider
Test Rider
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuggit;70 is a good price for the pieces you got blasted/coated.
Local blaster up here would be circa 100;there are cheaper if you let them use steel shot/want distortion/bubbled finish/missed patches but I declined.
Well done.
nuggitt
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willandrip wrote:
Nuggit;70 is a good price for the pieces you got blasted/coated.
Local blaster up here would be circa 100;there are cheaper if you let them use steel shot/want distortion/bubbled finish/missed patches but I declined.
Well done.

Cheers Will. Well I feel better now knowing that I haven't over spent on the wife's pension. laugh laugh laugh I'm a bit out of touch with prices but I'm sure I'll catch up with them. The best thing about the bits in black is that I didn't have to do any re tapping of the threads etc. nod

He has quoted me 80 for doing the wheels and that also includes blasting. nod
willandrip
Test Rider
Test Rider
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wheel here is 75 and I get a lot of stuff done so it is bottom line price;nearly all coaters will include preparation in the price even if it is already done=they prepare it again, as if its not done correctly the finish would fail and have to be redone.
The main cost in coating is now the utilities bill as energy costs have escalated and it is a very power hungry process.
A good coater has the correct bungs and will tape off exposed threads before blasting; the problem sometimes arises that the operator(never the owner=he will skimp) is heavy on the powder and so chipping will occur when the bungs are removed if not scored with a craft blade.
Make sure not to coat the seating area of disc rotors if getting wheels done(good coaters know this).
nuggitt
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Will. I have taken that onboard. nod
nuggitt
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just collected some more bits today from the plastic coaters.

I was going to have a go at painting these air tubes myself until I took them to the plastic coaters to see if they had something near this colour. He said all we have to do with them is blast em and give them a clear coat of lacquer. Well they did, and even they're amazed at how they've come out. the look bloody gorgeous. Only cost me a tenner. Not worth shaking a rattle can at. laugh

These lads know their stuff allright. thumbsup
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Reviewed & Recommended All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: