View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob1000exup5555
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Weird heat issue Reply with quote

Bike runs ok tho stalls sometimes on tick over, i have this weird heat issue on the right side where the frame is untouchable like 50-60 degs of heat, i have had the tank off and the thermostat housing is right behind there so im not sure if thats the problem or not really.

Any help or ideas welcome thanks for reading
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the bikes on the side stand and idling, the right hand frame rail is directly above the engine so you’d expect it to get hot quickly.

If the engine is running hotter than you think it should, the rad could be blocked or the fan not operating as it should.

Also if the bike is running lean, the engine will run hotter than normal.

It shouldn’t stall from idle and if it does, it’s a carb issue, either they need balancing, or cleaning/setting up properly.
NickZT
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top radiator hose runs along the r/h inside of the frame. This will generate heat into the frame. Whereabouts is your temp gauge running. Should settle around 1/3
Rob1000exup5555
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZT wrote:
The top radiator hose runs along the r/h inside of the frame. This will generate heat into the frame. Whereabouts is your temp gauge running. Should settle around 1/3

I did see the pipe down that side when i took the tank off, i dont remember it getting that hot tho.

Temp gauge was about half way but i was in town traffic.

Im going to check the fan tonight and make sure it works and go for a ride out and see how it is.

Thankyou for your replies
Rob1000exup5555
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creedxup wrote:
When the bikes on the side stand and idling, the right hand frame rail is directly above the engine so you’d expect it to get hot quickly.

If the engine is running hotter than you think it should, the rad could be blocked or the fan not operating as it should.

Also if the bike is running lean, the engine will run hotter than normal.

It shouldn’t stall from idle and if it does, it’s a carb issue, either they need balancing, or cleaning/setting up properly.

Would you expect it to get as hot as the water in the rad ie 70 degs?.

I dont think its running any hotter i think its running rich as the end can exit is quite sutty.

The stalling has just happened really tho no work has taken place and its never done it before, can the carbs just drop off and cause stalling?
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn’t have thought the frame would ever get as hot as the coolant but it might do if you left it idling long enough?

The frame rails get get pretty hot in the summer and when you’re stuck in traffic, I wouldn’t be too concerned if it got hot in traffic.

If your bike is running progressively rougher as it gets hot, it’s running rich, if it’s really rich it could easily stall when hot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Workshop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: