View previous topic :: View next topic  
YZF1000R-SPRINT
Test Rider
Test Rider
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: THUNDERACE REAR END - RANT Reply with quote

I bought a complete rear end for a Thunderace, Swingarm, Wheel, Shock, Linkages, Disc, Caliper etc. for £180, bargain, I thought!! I intended to completely strip of all seals, bearings, get it blasted then painted then fit new bearings :-)

Started to strip this down and every single nut and bolt (and I mean every single one) was seized solid, some came out after some struggling but now left with a swing arm where one of the chain tensioners has snapped still in the swingarm, 1 main pivot bearing seized solid and now in bits with just the outer casing left and 1 bolt where the hugger was fixed to, 1 bolt snapped on the rear wheel holding the disc in and managed to get 1 out but still left with 4 stuck in solid, bent 3 allan keys and twisted 1 allan key socket trying to get these out, even after heating, using about a pint of wd40 etc.

Do you ever get that feeling that wish you had just never bothered? Now I know why they were selling as a rear end lump instead of stripping down and selling parts off separately

Jason
jcr
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is where impact drivers come in handy.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steel corroded into alloy is about the worst combination. Heat and plus gas are a good start
May end up drilling them out but have to be 100% on centre. Lathe centre drill are quite good as they’re short and don’t flex
YZF1000R-SPRINT
Test Rider
Test Rider
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up taking them down to my local shop (they still have them but spoken to me) they had drill every one out that I couldn't get out as 1 of the bolts even snapped for them after heating with something more powerful than a blow torch.
So far for my £180 I have a disc and caliper lol, I'll keep you updated as to how this goes, bargains at the time don't always turn out to be bargains
YZF1000R-SPRINT
Test Rider
Test Rider
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, its confirmed, bargains dont always end up being bargains and cost you more money than you would have spent if buying something at the going rate

EVERY single bolt in the wheel that holds teh rear disc snapped and EVERY single bearing in the swingarm failed and just disintegrated leaving the outer casing left which seems to have weleded itself to the alloy

So thats a lesson learned from me, so for my nearly £220 I have a rear disc and a sad looking rear shock and a rear caliper, everything is I think going to be junk as Im not prepared to spend any more money on this "bargain"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Workshop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: