View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuggitt
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Clutch cover oil leak Reply with quote

I recently changed my clutch cover for a better one. Having read the article in the clutch section in the good book (Haynes) about removing the clutch cover. It says loosen the clutch cover bolts a ľ of a turn at a time in a criss-cross pattern, which I did. When I removed the clutch cover. I cleaned all the surfaces up so they were spotless and dry. I made sure all the dowels were in place and then fitted a new gasket. I then did everything in reverse by tightening the bolts up a bit at a time in a criss-cross pattern.

After starting and getting the engine nice and hot. The problem I now have is a very, very slight oil leak coming from the middle part of the left-hand side of the clutch cover, which then runs down to the bottom part of the clutch cover. itís not a lot but itís there. Which Iím not happy about. You can see the small amount on my finger in the photo.

Now this has got me thinking of why you have to undo the bolts by a ľ turn in a criss-cross pattern. If you donít do that way and letís say you, do it in a clockwise pattern will doing it that way cause the clutch cover to warp/twist??

Which leads me on to the question of the lad I bought it from. Now did he do it the correct way or the wrong way causing it to warp or twist? Can somebody enlighten me if Iím right in thinking this way?

Goshreally2
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nuggit, did you use any form of gasket sealer?
nuggitt
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but it was in my thoughts whether to use any or not. It doesnít mention in the Haynes bible to use any gasket sealant. It looks like Iím going to have to get another new gasket and apply some sealant to it. 🤔
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VERY small amount of twist possible by undoing it wrong must be rediculously small. The thickness of the gasket compressing should be able compensate imho
nuggitt
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thatís what I thought stig. All the surfaces were cleaned and there wasnít any traces of old gasket that could cause a high spot. 🤔
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That point is right where the upper and lower crankcase halves join together, you may find the leak is from the joint in the cases rather than the cover, itís bolted at about an inch further in than the cover, Iíd be surprised if it was loose, but you never know.
nuggitt
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíve just checked to see if that crankcase bolt is tight and it is. Iím waiting for a new gasket to arrive and when it does Iíll take the cover off again and investigate further. Would a bit of gasket sealant in that area help fix the problem? 🤔
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíd be very surprised if the cover was warped, so it must be some damage possibly a scratch or scrape on the cover, or the dowel is damaged and not allowing the cover to sit flat on the cases, some sealant will help if you find a scrape or scratch but ensuring the cover sits fully flat on the cases before you fit the gasket is the best way.
Goshreally2
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted a new clutch recently. When refitting the cover I used blue hylomar applied very thin and evenly. I remember thinking about the area of the cover Nuggit is having problems near - because it is next to the crankcase joints and is a fairly wide flat piece on the cover I felt that using the sealent would prevent any leak due to tiny imperfections. I have always used hylomar anyway unless the manufacturer says do not. Also I have checked the torque on the bolts 3 times since the refit.
Goshreally2
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I left out that I did a very close inspection of the cover and crankcase for issues, none found but I still used the sealant because to be honest I didn't trust the crankcase joint for 100% accuracy and never have.
nuggitt
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the gasket and sealant delivered today, so I'll be having another go at it maybe tomorrow. big grin thumbsup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Workshop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: