View previous topic :: View next topic  
itsnotagenesis
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Sorn Reply with quote

Oh well. First time in 31 years of owning bikes that I have not taxed my bike.
Seeing as I wont be venturing out anywhere for the foreseeable I just sorned it.
Not happy at all.
Roll on 2021.
nuggitt
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike has been on sorn since last November. I was planning on taxing it on the 1st of April but that plan went to cock. 😢 God knows when well get on the road this year. ☹️
kboehringer
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorn - PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS? Reply with quote

itsnotagenesis wrote:
that I have not taxed my bike..... I just sorned it

UK FZR Friends,
Would someone please try to explain, briefly but with enough specificity that a dumb guy in the USA can understand?
I'm guessing that what we refer to as renewal of annual registration is what you are referring to as "Taxing the bike".

Here's a quickie overview of registration in the USA.
Some individual states are a LITTLE different but I think Georgia where I live is typical.

On initial purchase of a NEW bike, one is TAXED on the purchase price. when I purchased my FJR1300 (~$14,500 - £11,826) the tax charge paid to Georgia was 7% or $1,105 (£827). I will never pay taxes on this machine again for as long as I own it in the Sate of Georgia.

If one purchases a USED bike taxes are paid to the state based upon the state's estimated value of the bike. It doesn't matter if you paid $5 for the bike if they say that bike is worth $2500 that's what you pay taxes on. One can try to argue but it's a losing battle, just pay up. For example, the '92 FZR1000 was valued by the government at something like $1000 (£815). I paid about $70 in taxes and will never pay tax on this machine again for as long as I live in Georgia.

IN ADDITION TO THE "Taxes":
One must pay an annual registration renewal fee. This can vary a little from state to state but for Georgia it's about $20 (£16) per year per bike.

We also have to maintain insurance on every vehicle. All of my bikes (excluding the FJR1300) have minimal Liability only insurance to cover anything or anyone I hit. The bikes themselves are NOT covered. Crash it, and fix it yourself or trash it. I pay about $100 (£82) per year for each of the older bikes. The FJR1300 is worth a tidy bit more and I have full comprehensive collision on that machine. That big boy costs me about $500 per year to insure and it is covered for everything.

All in all and FZR like those the folks here have would cost about $120 per year to ride and own legally (for the entire calendar year) in the USA.

Now, how does this work in the UK? I'm very interested to understand.

Kurt
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you purchase a new bike or second hand one from a dealer you pay tax (value added tax called VAT) which is currently 20% this is a one off payment based on the cost of the machine

Additionally you have to pay an annual Road tax. This is based on the cubic capacity which varies in bands. If I remember correct....
Up to 125
125-250
251-400
400-600
600 and above
Last time I taxed mine it was approx £85 for the year

Then you also pay insurance similar to you
Basic cover - third party fire and theft. You bin it, you fix it. Insurance covers third party claim against you
Comprehensive covers yourself and bike plus third party claim

You can also get classic policies which are restricted mileage and usually have an agreed value

Insurance cover cost varies on rider age, machine capacity, location, Nick ability and if an approved alarm is fitted and if the driver has a bad driving history (convictions)
Iíve just insured mine on a classic for £98 for year
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, forgot about SORN....
Statutory off road notice. If bike is insured and has a MOT (annual condition test cost around £35) then the machine either has to be taxed (road tax) or declared SORN. Failure usually leads to £100 fine

Sucks doesnít it 😂
Teego
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stig wrote:

£93 now Paul. Think yours has been off the road so long now that Notts C C have lost their pothole fund.
I never sorn'd my bikes. Not worth the saving when you could wake up on some sunny, plod-free and unsalted day in February and stuff off into the hills. That day would be worth a month's VED.
Sort of the same with the AMG but month's VED is £49.87. Shell V-power at 19.7mpg is a secondary consideration.
itsnotagenesis
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teego wrote:
Stig wrote:

£93 now Paul. Think yours has been off the road so long now that Notts C C have lost their pothole fund.
I never sorn'd my bikes. Not worth the saving when you could wake up on some sunny, plod-free and unsalted day in February and stuff off into the hills. That day would be worth a month's VED.
Sort of the same with the AMG but month's VED is £49.87. Shell V-power at 19.7mpg is a secondary consideration.

It was £91 in March.
kboehringer
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: THANKS.... Now I understand. Reply with quote

It sounds like about $100 or so to keep her on the road. Basically similar to the US.....maybe a couple dollars more.

RE: INSPECTION
In my State of Georgia, there are no inspections on Motorcycles. I used to live in the State of Pennsylvania and they did inspect bikes. The inspection was VERY BASIC: Tires Minimum Tread Requirement, Brake Pads, Check the Brake Lines, all Lighting in proper order. Cost was about $20 and 15 minutes.

Cars in Georgia get an annual EMISSIONS only inspection $25. The car is exempt until it is 3+ years old (they figure it should all work in the first three I guess) then until it is 25 when it becomes exempt again. They check NOTHING else. I've seen cars missing fenders pass inspection.

IN the Northern States Michigan, Indiana, Pennsylvania, New York, etc. Car inspections tend to be much more elaborate. The salt, snow, etc. cause many of the northern state to perform Emissions and General Vehicle Safety Inspections. Again, usually pretty inexpensive $50 but they will check the brakes, exhaust systems, steering components, tires, etc.

At any time a law enforcement officer can write a citation for anything he/she feels is unsafe or below standard. However, that is EXTREMELY rare. If one is pulled over for speeding in an old piece of crap, and decides to argue or be an ass, the officer is likely to start writing up those violations too.
Teego
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsnotagenesis wrote:
It was £91 in March.

£93 in April.
Teego
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annual inspections in the US are terrifyingly lax. I suppose it's state politics.
We have a national annual MOT test for cars and bikes over three years old.
It's very thorough and linked to the Transport Department's database in real time during the test. If you know a vehicle's registration number anyone can access the database FOC and view it's test history. It's cheap at £25 - £50 and keeps most sheds off the road. It's also linked into the police Automatic Number Plate Recognition system. So, if you are tailed by plod and don't have an MOT certificate, VED tax, insurance or a driving licence you'll get the blues and twos. With this system plod knows all about you before he even asks if you are Carl Fogarty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Lounge Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: