Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt, Bit of a ride out from yours to Squires Cafe. Did you see Nuggitt there by any chance laugh laugh
nuggitt
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to do with me. Never met him before in my life. big grin

Speaking of T shirts.

As they say exchange is no robbery. big grin laugh laugh
kboehringer
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:06 am    Post subject: Long time gone - Stupid Decisions - Tax Time in the USA Reply with quote

FZR Friends,
I've been more than a little occupied lately. I apologize for my absence. Wish I hadn't been gone so long as I miss the exchanges with my UK friends.

My relatively recent job change (Late OCT) has thrown a few curves my direction. Several failures at the facility caused by a lack of planning and attention by my predecessor has made fora very difficult couple of months. In addition, it is now TAX TIME in the USA and I must complete my tax return. Seems an error by my previous employer has left me with a hefty bill to pay. No longer employed by that company my recourse is limited. Seems I need to pay our Uncle Sam a sum close to $6000.00 (4500).

It's been raining seemingly non-stop for the last month so driving opportunities have been limited. Due to the limited time available I've stopped being as thorough as I am know for....

STUPID STUPID STUPID:
I haven't done a good job on the FJ1200. I took the FZR apart piece by piece and replaced all the Bearings, Seals, Hoses, Shoes, Tires, EVERYTHING before I even though about taking a spin....

Decided the brakes were good and the engine was fine so I could take a little spin on the FJ.......On the first corner the back end felt a little "Funny"..... The "Funny" feel returned on corner #2.... Felt a little like the rear had broken loose but I was clearly not on the throttle that hard? Turned the bike around and took her back to the house. I then inspected the rear wheel and it was HORRIBLE BEARINGS. Wheel was wobbling back & forth 1/2"

I have NEVER seen bearings this bad....EVER.

Damn lucky I didn't kill myself.

FJ Progress:
Progress has been extremely limited but I did buy YET ANOTHER BIKE.

I grabbed this last weekend. The bike was involved in a major accident (look close lower right side of engine). The Engine is GARBAGE and the opposing side of the fairing is gone. The unfortunate rider broke BOTH of his legs. He went high-side and the bike hit a guardrail on the right and then slid down the road a bit on the left.

The bike provided the missing lower chin spoiler and that's about all I have had time to install. I need to strip the bike this weekend and put the remainder in the junk yard.

Today was a beautiful day and tomorrow promise to be the same!~ I have to work this weekend but the FZR IS TAKING ME THERE!!!! I'm excited to get the FZR out of her short sleep.....
kboehringer
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: FJ1200 - Stuck in the house.... Making some progress Reply with quote

FIRST - I hope all of my friends here are doing well and none have contracted the Corona Virus. My Family is fine although my sister was exposed to a person with a confirmed case. So far, she has no signs of the virus, I believe she was tested and awaiting results. I rarely see my sister in person so I have not been exposed to her.

My area is OK although just north of me several of the local municipalities have restricted travel and closed many businesses (mostly restaurants & similar). Otherwise, life is relatively normal. I HOPE YOURS IS THE SAME!

This past week, in compliance with "SOCIAL DISTANCING" I drove a bike to work (52 miles 1 way) 4 of 5 days. I drove a different bike each day.

I drove this one on Friday. 1981 XS1100 (modified).

X X X X X X X X X X X X

FZR Friends,
Making a LITTLE progress this weekend on the "Other Bike".

Got all the mis-colored pieces prepared and primed.

Found the time to get the Pearl White onto the belly pan.

Gotta keep moving it around the lawn so it stayed in the direct sunlight while it dried.

Since it seems the correct decals are like unobtainium (?), I'm gonna try to paint the Stormy Red accent onto the belly pan when I paint the fender tomorrow (weather permitting).

I also received new front wheel bearings from RPM yesterday and a clutch safety switch from Evil-Bay.

I may delay the bearings until the new tires are here. Keep from pulling front wheel off twice....I don't plan on driving until the brake lines, tires, and front wheel bearings are all replaced..

Hopefully, the bike will be ready to roll at the start of summer. In the meantime, I have plenty of bikes to ride. I won't drive this one again until I am SURE it is ready!!
kboehringer
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:34 am    Post subject: Wrong pic in last post. Reply with quote

Nancy called me for dinner and I hit "Submit" too fast.

This is the photo of the Pearl White Belly Pan.

I also decided to change the rear turn signals to those with the slightly shorter stalks. I purchased the same ones as used on the FZR. Although only an inch shorter, I think they look a lot better. I THINK they used the longer ones on the FJ1200 as back in the day many people were putting luggage on these and might have liked them wider for "Touring".

Most of the "DONOR" FJ1200 has made it to the recycle station (as well as many parts I have hoarded from other machines).

I'm taking tons of stuff I will never use, no one will ever ask me for, and I have no intention of trying to pedal.

I still have a few very nice pieces from the FJ1200. I offered them up on an FJ web-site and found only a bunch of cheap &#$^$%%$...... These carbs look like NEW and I was offered $50 (40). They'll rot in my garage before I give them away.....

Otherwise, the DONOR is now being recycled......
I did make this pretty cool night lamp for my Grandson. It will be in one of our spare bedrooms for him.

KURT
kboehringer
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject: More progress Reply with quote

The red turned out very good. But, it needs to dry a couple days before I can put it on.

Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks well thumbsup
nuggitt
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've made a good job of that Kurt.

Everytime I spray something and then hang it outside to dry in the sun. It ends up attracting every flying insect in the garden to it. laugh laugh
kboehringer
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:47 pm    Post subject: Thank you UK!!! Brake Lines have arrived from Goodridge! Reply with quote

FZR Guys,
The brake lines you recommended for my FZR worked out so perfectly I purchased them for my FJ1200 as well.

They just arrived from the UK TODAY!!!!!

I'm making good progress on this bike but I think I will always like the FZR a lot more. Unfortuantely, the FZR is a poor candidate for 2-up riding so this FJ and the FJR get the job when the bride is along for the ride.

The fender turned out very well and I think the paint match is a good one. Now, I have to take it all off so any spilled brake fluid won't injure the freshly painted parts.....

I was able to get my FZR out for two rides to work last week for a total of 200+ miles. She's running VERY WELL..... and fast as hell! I'm regularly blasting along the back roads at 140mph (for short bits).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Rogues Gallery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: