Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kboehringer
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: OTHER BIKE DISCUSSION - '86 FJ1200 Reply with quote

FZR Friends,
Hope no one gets upset but I wanted to post up a note on yet another project (or two) I've recently acquired.

It seems every year I find another bike to restore and this year is no different. I found this bike about 3 miles from home and couldn't pass it it.

It's an '86 FJ1200. The seller wanted $1000 for it (£764) but I was unwilling to give him that for a non-runner. I made my final offer of $600 (£458) and he accepted. The bike is nearly complete except for the Front Fender and lower fairing (below exhaust is missing.) Much like my FZR, this bike has sat in a garage for 5-6 years and the carbs were completely gummed up.

The PO (previous owner) attempted to clean the carbs and broke a post off the #4 carb. I've already fixed this stupidity by: filing off the broken post flat, drilling and tapping a hole, installing a 5.5mm shoulder bolt, and drilling a cross hole for the float. I've done this kind of work before and the bike will not know the difference. I've seen folks try to mend this malady with glue and misc. adhesives but those NEVER hold in the fuel environment. A replacement post is the only option (in my opinion).

I'm waiting for new jets, needles/seats to arrive so I can hear this baby run!

It also appears that although the reds of this bike and my FZR are different, they both appear to use the same Pearly White. When I repaint the FZR I can do a little touch-up here as well.

As a side note.... I also purchased another SECA 650. I promised to buy the bike before I had seen it in person. Unfortunately, it's a pile of POOP. I paid only $140 (£107) and the bike provided several spares for my existing SECA.... I'll be stripping this one today to send most of the bike to the rubbish bin.

Existing Seca

My garage is getting a little full now of Vintage Motorcycles....

I'm glad I don't have to do the MOT on all of these! I suspect they would mostly pass but I don't have funds for all of those inspections!

Thought you would enjoy this...
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent post as usual That silver and blue Seca looks like an RD350LC with a 4cyl motor. Interesting.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post. The FJ is very competent all rounder. Let me know if you want any stainless dog bones for a jack up kit 👍

Ever thought of doing 2 strokes such as the 350LC? Or RZ over your side of the pond?
kboehringer
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Bucket List Bikes.....THREE Reply with quote

Stig wrote:
Ever thought of doing 2 strokes such as the 350LC? Or RZ over your side of the pond?

YES! Unfortunately, 2-strokes are more than a little hard to find here and ALWAYS very expensive. I have been looking for YEARS for an RD400 Daytona I could call my own. I came close a couple years ago until I found out the bike I was interested in had been converted to an R6 front end. The seller though I should appreciate that ridiculous "UPGRADE", I did not. I want a STOCKish bike. A "Stockish" RD400 could cost anywhere from $3000 to $5000 (£2292 - £3820). If it is in collector condition it could easily be double that!

Although I own MANY motorcycles, there are only a few remaining on my "Bucket List" (what I want before I die!)
    RD400 Daytona
    V-Max (Any Year - Earlier Preferred)
    SR500 (My very first "Street Bike")

What bike is on your "Bucket List" (other than an FZR)?
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a vintage FJ1200 that I use for extensive travels around the Continent. The idea of having a top box & hard panniers bolted to the Exup-R just doesn't tick any boxes. My FJ wasn't in a very good condition & although it did run the shims were miles out, the carbs needed a good clean & the frame had some severe corrosion where the wiring loom rubs up the right side nearest to the cylinder head.

As for Stig's shorter dogbones, I fitted these as I have done to my Exup-R & together with the Exup rear wheel conversion they defo make a difference to the way the bike looks & rides.
(Unfortunately I can't post pics atm as photobucket have changed their Ts & Cs that I don't agree with)

www.blood.co.uk
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for a 'bucket list' I don't have one as I own 6 bikes that tick all of my needs, from enduro to super motard to sport bikes as well as the touring bike. All great fun in their own way unibrow

www.blood.co.uk
kboehringer
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: postimage or imagur(?Sp?) - FJ Quick Update Reply with quote

YAMAEXUP wrote:
(Unfortunately I can't post pics atm as photobucket have changed their Ts & Cs that I don't agree with)

YAMAEXUP,
I think we all know the pain caused by the PhotoBucket change in terms. Their changes have basically destroyed several web-sites I use to (and sometimes still do) visit. Many photos in technical sections of various sites that were a great resource are now long gone. Many were posted years ago but were still valuable until all the photos became error messages.

Personally, I uses Postimage while many of my friends use imgur.

Here's a quickie update on my new FJ project....

When received neither the brake mast or clutch master worked at all. Fortunately, the PO was buying parts to fix it (although it seems certain he hadn't a clue how to perform the repairs). I received a perfect brand new Brake Master and a used very good condition spare Clutch Master from the seller. Both of these have been placed into service and both systems are now functional.

Unfortunately, the clutch slave had apparently sprung a leak sitting so many years and in addition to needing a complete rebuild (same kit as the FZR), the side cover paint was eaten off by the fluid...

All back together and working great. Rather than re-paint the cover I just cleaned it up and polished it. I actually don't think I like the "Look" of this polished as the motor is supposed to be black. When spring hits I think I'll paint it properly? Thoughts?

NOW, replacement forks have arrived and it's time to tackle one of the big problems....

I'd love to know how the hell the PO did this? There should be significant damage to the rest of the machine with a hit like this but there isn't. I see no indication of a frame issue or anything wrong with the trees. Wonder if he backed over this with his car or something?

It should be running before the weekend with a front end that points the correct direction...

Thoughts?
kboehringer
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Only a short sleep... 71+ Degrees this weekend Reply with quote

Although I'm a bit distracted with the FJ repairs...My favorite bike will be out this weekend..... The weather forecast is for 71+ degrees on Saturday.... WOW that's like 25 degrees above normal for this time of year in Atlanta.

Not as hard to get out as it looks.... the FZR will be out on Saturday & Sunday!

[/i]
nuggitt
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'm a bit late with this reply re: bucket list.

I seem to be stuck in a bit of a time warp because there isn't much I fancy. I do have a small craving for Ducati 916.

I'd love to have a play on this beauty though. (FZR time warp)

Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have hung my nose over the earlier incarnations if the 916. But being as i donít get chance to ride the EXUP itíd be just another ornament taking up valuable space if I bought one
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recollect that polished Exup Nuggitt. I think that it was in 'Streetfighters' mag a few years ago. I might even have the article stashed away in a folder. I tend not to keep the magazines but I do remove the interesting pages for future reference.

As for the gearbox sprocket cover on that FJ1200 kboe, the one on my 3XW was quite severely corroded from a leaking slave cylinder seal. I stripped off the rest of the black paint & then polished it. In my mind it looks a lot better. The oil filter housing was also affected, so I did the same with that, but left the undamaged paint on the slave piston housing. I did make the comment on the FJ-UK page on f/b that the internal seals could be affected by petrol leaking from the carbs when they overflow...but several forumites said it's best to check the pipes from the float bowl overflows & to route them accordingly.
Shame about that fork leg... angry

www.blood.co.uk
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remembered that when I rebuilt my FJ1200 the slave cylinder piston was quite corroded. Having machined a direct replacement piston for my Exup-R from dural & then anodising it black, I knew that I had the OEM piston in my box of Exup parts. It's slightly different to the FJ part but the dimensions are the same where it matters. But the FJ part looks like it might tilt slightly in the bore of the slave. When I fitted the Exup part to my FJ it gives the clutch lever pull a better feel. Unfortunately the piston isn't available as a seperate item otherwise several people on the FJ f/b page would've bought them. Maybe i'll gear up & machine a few....

www.blood.co.uk
nuggitt
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíve had the photos of the polished exup for a long time now and for the life of me I canít remember where I got them from. I like to drool over the nice bit of kit every now and again it keeps my dream alive. 😀😀

As for the polished sprocket cover I think it looks ok it seems to blend in nicely with the frame. 👍
kboehringer
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: WOW! - Making Progress....SLOWLY Reply with quote

nuggitt wrote:
I'd love to have a play on this beauty though. (FZR time warp)

Nuggitt,
That machine is AMAZING. I can't imagine how much money was spent on that machine? I have seen in several photos people have changed the swingarm like that one. Obviously that swingarm is more rigid than the original equipment, what bike are they getting those from? I'd have no interest in that modification, just wondering....
As we say in the USA, you have a "Larger Set" than I, I'd be too afraid of that machine to give it a whirl..... damn sure kill myself on that.

FJ1200 - Making Progress:

I received my replacement forks. They were a good deal at $100 (£90). I knew they had been modified and the PO of these painted them so I KNEW they had been apart. I felt my lowers were fine and I only wanted the tubes anyway. Lucky that was my intention as the PO did have them apart and mis-assembled them. He was also missing some internals as he had ATTEMPTED to eliminate the anti-dive feature.

The internals of these forks are EXTREMELY complicated compared to anything I have worked on before.....

Therefore, I had to disassemble both sets and mix & match until I had created on good pair. It seems the right fork "LOOKED" fine but the eyeball is not capable of seeing a few thousandths of bend so I just replaced both tubes.

Since the factory protective coating had yellowed and was partially missing, both tubes got a good polishing to remove the remainder and make the forks look nice.

Like my FZR (and all my bikes), the calipers will need a complete rebuild and all the rubber lines will be replaced with new Stainless Steel. But, everything is back together and the bike will at least POINT the right direction as I roll it around in the shop.

NOW, I need to get the carbs done so I can hear this thing run!!! Obviously, It is no where near road-worthy but I can get her making some noise this weekend if I concentrate on the carbs...... ALL NEW PARTS HAVE ARRIVED!!!
smile smile smile smile smile

kboehringer
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: IT RUNS... WELL!! - I think the t-shirt helped Reply with quote

FZR Friends,
Looks like we have a winner here! Runs nice & smooth!

I am always afraid when I purchase a NON-RUNNER. I could have ended up with a bike with a blown motor. All indications were that a long period of inactivity led to carb issues but one really never knows why the bike was parked.

I got all the carbs put back together and installed, mostly like putting together a jig-saw puzzle without the photo of the finished product. The PO had removed the carbs.

The manual is useful but doesn't cover every nut & bolt or every cable & tie. Fortunately, I was able to figure it out.

Before starting, I decided to better have a look at the air filter just to make sure it actually had one..... FOUND THIS:

Seems a field mouse or other small critter was using the air box as a nest. He had a bunch of grass seed piled up in here too! Guess he was planning on a long winter.... VERY GLAD I LOOKED FIRST!

But, the machine runs. The brakes are all crap so that's the next project. I can take a breather and relax a bit knowing the motor sounds EXCELLENT. No point in buying brake parts for a bike that has a bad motor....

Anyone recognize the T-Shirt?

I'll keep you posted but I expect to slow down a bit now that I am sure of the motor.

Sincerely,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Rogues Gallery All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: