View previous topic :: View next topic  
redapple
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Starter Solenoid Relay replacement mod Reply with quote

Starter Solenoid decide to call it a day on me.

Tried to start the bike and got nothing, no click, zero. Checked the battery and it was at 100%. Kill switch on

Did a check to see if I was getting 12v across the starter solenoid when the starter button was pressed. it is located behind the battery case

Basically put test probes on point 1 and 2 in the picture and then press the starter button. you should get 12v. I didn't .

I tried to clean it but these starters are non-maintenance so I bought a replacement for 12 off ebay

I decided to put a diode across the coil to prevent arcing and damage.
To do the hack/mod you will need to buy silicon diode 1N4007 for 99p . I used ring crimps and sleeving . simple job. make sure that the solid grey line is connected to the positive/incoming bolt as in the picture

If you want to see how it works check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3_bQV3HOH4

to test the starter just connect the positive lead from the battery to point 1 or the bolt which does not have the blue wire bullet connector on it. then touch the blue wire to either the frame of the bike or battery negative terminal.

you should here that familiar click sound, which shows it is working
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Workshop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: