View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicoxj
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: New '89 FZR Exup in France Reply with quote

Hi All,
Yep, even if the UK wants to Brexit, I decided after reading extensively different ideas, comments, discussions over here, to join!
So, I am French, live now in France (after 8 1/2 years in the UK, Brighton, London, Reading).
I've got 3 beautiful daughters, of which 2 are actually born in the UK.
I actually arrived in the UK in 2002, riding a 1984 XJ900.
In 2006, I sold it with 240 000km on the clock, for a 1988 750VFR, which in turn I sold 9 months later in December 2006 (with 50k miles added on the clock, was a UK bike), for a 1998 Ducati 750SS.
This spring, I decided I had jad enough of the Duc and its belts, and sold it after having added 120 000km to it, sold it to a fan of Ducs I know.
My idea was to get the bike that made me dream when I passed my MC driving licence, the '89 FZR 1000.
After looking for that specific bike for a while, I finally found a 'scrap' bike, that I bought for less than 1000Ä, with 70 000km on the clock, 800km from when I live.
A gamble, that proved both a bad and a good idea...
A bad idea, because I realised only after starting to strip the mecanics (carbs, TCI, ...) that the bike had been very, but very very badly maintained: spark plugs were more than worn, carb in a very poor condition (I'll explain later), ...
A gamble, as I took the risk of riding it back home. It actually did it, but this is when I started to doubt about the "perfect maintenance" the previous owner was having done with his mecanic, based on the invoices I saw.
And a good idea, because after spending a few months on the engine peripherals, she now runs like a dream. I must say that the Exup was working from day 1!
OK, I still have got a lot to do on it to get it in the condition I want, which means, as it was originally, and bearing in mind I decided to use it almost every day to commute, it will take time...
So, here I am, happy to be here!
Nic
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the forum.

dont worry about brexit - im pro brexit, im also very pro european [i just dislike the eu!].

Your project sounds good. using to bike to commute and restore is not easy, bon chance!
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Nic

Let's see some pictures

Forum is a bit quiet at present but folk do drop in regularly and will supply help when needed

Nuggitt's probably polishing his bits already for next year
nuggitt
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím not sure what you mean by polishing my bits. embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

Iíve been in my man cave today preparing the old girl for its hibernation period. Got the chain and sprocket cleaned up and given the chain a good greasing. Changing the oil and filter tomorrow then itís just a good clean up and and a polish up and itís going in itís storage bag with a big kiss from me.

Welcome in Nik and yes we all love photos. nod thumbsup
Nicoxj
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I haven't many pictures, as I have been concentrating on getting the bike running...

It was taken the day I bought it, 800km after signing the deal... I bought it in South of France and live near Paris smile

Apart from the carbs and ignition, here are the only enhancements I have had time to provide it:
- got a front mudguard!
- installed a Ram Mount (stem version) to be able to use my phone as GPS
- fitted an aftermarket K&N air filter
- installed 2 LED headlamps (it is now as good as my 308's LEDs!)

As you can see, I've got a LOT to do

Best,

Nic
nuggitt
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Nik but itís not working for me and I canít find the URL?????
Nicoxj
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP ...

I hope this one works:
nuggitt
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thatís better. thumbsup

She doesnít look that bad and youíll soon get her sorted in time. nod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Lounge Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: