View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickofnorfolk
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: New member, first resto Reply with quote

Hi all,
Thought I would join this forum as Iíve already been browsing for hints and tips regarding my first ever restoration; a 1994 YZF750R.
Sooo, found said bike at the back of a storage room at work when I first started. Made some enquiryís and found out itís been sat there for 2 or 3 years and maybe 2 or 3 before that in the previous owners shed. I rubbed my hands and grinned as it sounded like a full resto which was something I wanted to get stuck into. After dragging the bike out and checking it over things looked promising. Pretty much standard apart from blue screen and headlight covers (90ís nostalgia 😉) all the panels are good, even exhaust is original!
First night was spent stripping off fairing, tank, air box and carbs. The tank was pretty rusty inside as it had been stored with maybe a litre or 2 of old fuel in ☹️. Since then have cleaned it out and rebuilt the fuel pump inside it 👍😁
Carbs, spent an evening stripping them down ready for ultrasonic cleaning. All was going well until the last air/fuel mixture screw rounded off. Oh well, drilled a small hole and tapped in a hex bit to turn it out after some extra plus gas and heat. The hex bit snapped. 😩 after some very careful drilling with a 1mm drill bit I released the stuck hex head but was left with a much bigger hole not much smaller than the holder 😕 after this, I tried a small screw extractor but as soon as it bit it cracked the holder of the screw 😭 pictures are to follow but long and short of it I need a outside right (no.4) carb body or replacement set that will fit.
Sorry for the long first post but just wanted to give a background story 😊
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome in. Glad to have another newbie. Seems like a great project. Apart from getting parts and advice you will find that patience is a virtue.
Pix would be great and hope this turns into a project thread.
Nickofnorfolk
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers teego,
If I want to start a resto thread for it what section should that come under? Workshop I guess?
Cheers
nuggitt
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome in Nick and yes put the thread in workshop. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. thumbsup
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Lounge Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: