Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Reviewed & Recommended
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkFool
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: home fit alarms Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CYCLONE-MOTORBIKE-MOTORCYCLE-BIKE-ALARM-IMMOBILISER-/190298730514?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2c4eb03012

Anyone had any experiance with anything like this?, looks pretty good

Getting concerned after my neighbour caught two guys sniffing around my bike at 3 in the morning mad

Already added an additional lock and will be looking for a ground anchor at the weekend, but had a datatool sys 4 on my old 600 and it made me feel alot better knowing it was there

No One Ever Suspects The Fool
Metalface
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wondered about these myself. nod

[quote="Yoda"]Well mental bikes though, suits you sir. [/quote]
joeboy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got one of those or very similar on both of my bikes they are good, but drain the battery over a long period even when you dont arm them.

I have taken the lives off both bikes to stop them killing them slowly.
skyerae
Factory Rider
Factory Rider
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a Cyclone C-11 version on my Exup. It start with the key fob and the ignition is disconnected (first place thieves start) If you knock the bike, when it is armed it tells you that the bike is alarmed and to please step away. It reminds you to arm the alarm as well if you have the talking version. All alarm systems drain the battery but if you have the correct battery (unlike my 750 battery which tries to run a 1000) and use it frequently it isn't an issue. If used infrequently get a top-up charger. There is a wiring manual for the specific bike and free technical support. They are even willing to help me ands it was fitted by the previous owner. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE ALARMS.
joeboy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a ground anchor and a big lock and chain. I also always carry a disklock with me and it goes on even if I nip in the shop. If you get an alarm try and get a scooter one that has a rechargable battery inside that only charges from an ignition live, they are hard to find but available.

I have 2 of these alarms but only ever wired the basic functions ie. just a + and - to the battery as I did not want to splice my loom for remote starting or immobilising. I dont use them anymore as they were killing my batteries when I left my bike. The very worst thing you can do to a battery is discharge it slowly over a long period. I was sick of shelling out for new ones every spring. My bikes stay either outside or in my mums garage both places have no mains supply for a top up charger.

Safest bet is to wire a siren up to a tilt switch this will only take power from the battery when the bike is moved to the upright position.
Metalface
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike is connected to an Optimate trickle charger whenever I'm not using it so I won't notice a drain on the battery. I'll probably get one of these alarms I think. nod

I don't need it at home anyway cause my bikes going nowhere without me, I just want one for when I'm out and about, not that I leave it much anyway. smile

DarkFool
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, i've just ordered mine now so i'll see what its like soon

Metalface
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, if its shit let me know then I don't buy one. laugh laugh laugh laugh

DarkFool
Chief Mechanic
Chief Mechanic
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well finaly got round to fitting it, spent about an hour an a half cos my looms a mess, but went in nice and easy. connecting it up as alarm and immobiliser was a lot easier then i thought it would be, just need to alter the sensitivity now and check it hasn't killed my battery by morning.

one slight annoyance is that when i removed the side panel i found my exup cables stretched that bad they'd come off the servo, so thats the next job

bikerman90
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so come on lads, you've had these fitted for a while now, verdicts p[lease as last nite some oik robbed my cb125 i had just rebuilt and it was parked near my blade so i have moved it for a while, both bikes were locked up and chained but the still took the 125 and i had a feeling they would probably come back for the blade. so its time i fitted something that makes noise smile
oldgreybeard
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just fitted a Hawk X-40 alarm to my EXUP. I went for the full install with siren, flashing indicators, remote start, imobilisation and the like. I chose to cut into the loom

The unit was under 20 from Hawk Direct on ebay.

It took quite a bit longer than expected, but ther again, I spent a long time studying just how the electrics work, and a few things came to mind.

Security : yes it makes a noise if you use the key or otherwise to turn the ignition on, The noise isnt unbearable, so you could easily spend time silencing the system. It is all mounted beneath the seat, and wold probably be activated if you removing the seat without the key.

Reliability - some concern that i am adding a lot of wiring/elecronics that could go wrong. I have aplan of how i could defeat the system in an emergency.

Safety - I was intrigued by the 'remote start' facility. Could I resaonably end up with a bike where I didnt have to use the key?
Well - this is the biggest concern really. The way that they have done this in the alarm involves a number of rather thin wires, and PCB tracks that i would not want to run the full operating current of the bike. If you install and run a remote start system, then you are asking the alarm system to take the job of the ignition switch. The other bugbear is that the hawk alarm system will not operate the FZR starter solenoid without you adding an additional relay.

I have yet to test it, but I would be very surprised if the alarm fuse (10A) doesnt blow when all systems are turned on (lights, brake and horn during and emergency stop whilst the fan is running) This is not documented or discussed in the installation manual.

Overall - yes its an alarm - its not expensive, you get two remotes, but i shall be very cautious about the remote start and keyless riding. I am going to fit one to the other bike, but at the end of the day - I shall be relying on some big lock s and chains as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Reviewed & Recommended All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: