View previous topic :: View next topic  
Millietant
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: FZR 1000 RU Fork Seal replacement Reply with quote

Evening all,

I've come across a problem when trying to disassemble my USD forks. I've removed the legs, unscrewed to top caps and was going to fit my spring compressor tool using the holes shown in the manuals and online, but looking at my forks, there are no holes !

I'm pretty sure my forks are standard, from a 91/92 bike, so I don't understand why they're not the same as all of the guidance examples and Haynes manual example.

Could anyone offer any advice on how to compress the springs in my forks, or point to any information source to help me out.

I'll sort out how to post pics shortly.

Thanks all.[/img]
Millietant
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I can't get to post photo's (I'm not paying for Image Shack) - but I hope someone can understand what I mean from the description above.
Tipper2
Ear-Plug Cleaner
Ear-Plug Cleaner
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I had the same problem a couple of years ago with mine so drilled my own holes.

Seem to also remember I put the holes too near the caps for the lashed-up spring compressor I was using so leave enough room to give access to the locking nuts underneath.
creedxup
Parts department
Parts department
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest/best way to dis-assemble usd forks is to undo the Allen bolt at the bottom of the forks, if you can get this undone, the internals (damper, spring and top pre-load assembly) can be removed complete.

You can then remove the dust seal and circlip, and using a hammering action remove the oil seal and bush.
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millietant wrote:
OK, so I can't get to post photo's (I'm not paying for Image Shack) - but I hope someone can understand what I mean from the description above.

There’s a ‘how to’ in the announcements section using IMGUR 👍
jcr
Scooter Boy
Scooter Boy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out Dave Moss on youtube, he has a free vid on rebuilding upside down forks.
Millietant
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcr wrote:
check out Dave Moss on youtube, he has a free vid on rebuilding upside down forks.

Thanks, I'll have a look at it - TBH though, I'm pretty comfortable rebuilding forks, both RWU and USD. This is the first time I've been stumped by the forks being different to all of the instructions and I can't see a way to get the cap separated easily.

I've got my fingers crossed that the bolt at the bottom of the leg comes loose and unscrews, rather than the nut at the bottom of the fork just spinning - I'll use my impact gun on it and hope for the best. thumbsup
Millietant
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcr wrote:

Thanks, I'll have a look at it.

TBH though, I'm pretty comfortable rebuilding forks, both RWU and USD. This is the first time I've been stumped by the forks being different to all of the instructions and I can't see a way to get the cap separated easily.

I've got my fingers crossed that the bolt at the bottom of the leg comes loose and unscrews, rather than the nut at the bottom of the fork just spinning.

I'll use my impact gun on it and hope for the best.
Millietant
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject: EXUP RU Fork Seal issues Reply with quote

Thanks all.

I'll give it a go with the bolt at the bottom of the fork leg and hope it comes out. It's the first time I've come across a set of USD forks where my normal tools can't get the nut accessible, to separate the cap from the rod.

It seems like every other set of FZR USD forks have the holes in which my compressor will fit into perfectly.

I'll let you know how I get on.
Millietant
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been trying to add a reply but keep getting an error message so this is a test without any punctuation or text extras
Millietant
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Previous messages Reply with quote

Well, I don't know what was happening, but it seems like all my replies have gone through anyway despite the error messages.....never mind !!!
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forum needs admin to make an amendment to the coding

Admin needs to pull the finger out 🤬

Oh, that’ll be me then 🤣
Millietant
Brolly Dolly
Brolly Dolly
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: EXUP RU Fork Seal issues Reply with quote

Millietant wrote:
Thanks all.

I'll give it a go with the bolt at the bottom of the fork leg and hope it comes out. It's the first time I've come across a set of USD forks where my normal tools can't get the nut accessible, to separate the cap from the rod.

It seems like every other set of FZR USD forks have the holes in which my compressor will fit into perfectly.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Well, the good news is that I made up a sit-on spring compressor tool which meant I could compress the spring enough to get the cap loosened. Once I did this, I separated the stanchion from the top leg and changed the seals. While I had the forks apart, I drilled the top "spacer" to match every other FZR forsk and I can now use my tool with a couple of wind-in bolts and take the forks apart in 5 mins each. Next time I do the seals it will be soooo simple. Didn't need to take the bottom bolt out, simple job really. smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Workshop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: