View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuggitt
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Shh donít wake them up. Reply with quote

Its eerily quiet on here isnít it?

Come on Kurt or anybody else for that matter, tell us what youíre up to. Iíve nothing to report as yet apart from Iím back on painting duties and I donít mean my nails. 💅 👨‍🎨 ☹️
kboehringer
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Headlamp Flicker GONE! Reply with quote

nuggitt wrote:
Its eerily quiet on here isnít it?

Come on Kurt or anybody else for that matter, tell us what youíre up to. Iíve nothing to report as yet apart from Iím back on painting duties and I donít mean my nails. 💅 👨‍🎨 ☹️

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
It must be too quiet if anyone is looking for me to post something!

Nuggitt & FZR Friends,
Several of you have helped me a great deal with my FZR and I appreciate all the help (and Parts!). The bike is running GREAT! and I FINALLY fixed the last major freaking problem.....

I've had this "Flickering Headlamp & High Beam Indicator Flicker" since the day I first got this machine running.

My Alternator was changed, every wire checked (or so I thought), the battery is new, everything should have been right but STILL I had the headlamp "Flicker".

Even though the Alternator PASSED every stinking check, I purchased a new VR (the electronic style from RM stator) see video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-G9t9mAYOc

The change did NOTHING to resolve the flickering issue. I was unsure of a way to check the left handlebar switch (effectively test) so I decided to convert all the front end wiring to the UK/Euro style. I wanted the headlamp functions, pass lamp, and park lamp like the UK anyway.

Last weekend I finally had all the pieces (or so I thought) and made the conversion. I found that there is a "pigtail" or adapter from the UK harness to the lamp I did not have so I MADE ONE with an extra three-prong connector from an XS1100 harness. I have five(5) running XS1100 and enough spare parts to build three more.

During the process, I was testing the lamps and running the meter on all the lines, double-checking the continuity, color, and every connector on the main was going to match the UK versions. When I plugged in my homemade adapter to the headlamp all the flickering stopped. It would appear the root cause of all the problems was within the adapter to the bulb. You know the little three prong connector to the back of the headlamp.

I spend countless hours & money trying to resolve an issue that was apparently 1" from the headlamp! What an idiot!

Now, ALMOST everything works in the UK style including the pass switch function and the headlamp on/off switch. I LIKE IT!!!

In the USA, it is mandatory that all motorcycles "Burn headlamps at all all times" and the newer machines have dual filament front turn signals where one must burn at all times. I had to do a little re-wiring to make that work with the UK harness.

For safety purposes, it is unlikely I will turn the headlamp OFF very often. But I like having the ability to do so for special occasions! Here in the USA when we see a law enforcement officer we flash our headlamps off/on to tell the drivers on the opposing side they are approaching a speed trap. Seems my new on/off switch may come in handy for that

Overall, I'm happy happy my flickering headlamp is finally fixed.... but I sure wasted a bunch of time getting it fixed.

NEW UK style control switch:

UK Style Headlamp on/off function works

Homemade adapter to the lamp... mis-colored connectors but it works

Thanks for all the help with this!!!!

Sincerely,
Teego
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
More Rabbit Than Sainsbury's
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write-up Kurt. Should be a sticky.

Maybe quiet on this side of the pond but not in the Good 'Ole Good 'Ole.

3 guys recently smashed the Cannonball Run record in their E63 AMG with a mild 700bhp tune.
NY to LA, 2825 miles in 27hrs25mons.
Average speed 103mph.
Max speed 193mph.Total stops for fuelling 22mins33secs.
Don't know what the fuel consumption was.

Here's the report from Road and Track
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a30085091/these-guys-just-drove-an-e63-amg-across-america-in-a-record-27-hours-25-minutes/
pilninggas
Lap Record Holder
Lap Record Holder
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilninggas status report [Dec 19]

FZR1000 road legal; lockset replace last week so now seat, fuel and ignition all match and only need 1 key.

NC700 used daily, utterly dependable. I love riding it.

RG250 legal, need to give it a blast out over Xmas.

Zx10R MOT due. Have a decat pipe waiting to go on it.

Ride all year, anything else is for pussies. nod
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Iím still here. I log in every day but itís usually behind the scenes stuff like clearing out the spammers

As for the bike..... itís still in its bag til I either finish the twincam or Spring arrives. Either way bike will be out next year but will probably require work

Itís good to keep reading of folks projects and seeing their progress 👍
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still take a peek occasionally. But being a grandad to a 2 y/o means i've been spending much of my time helping my daughter as my son-in-law is a keyboard warrior & is totally unpractical with anything looking like a tool.

This & a brother's suicide means i'm still picking up the pieces with other aspects to do with probate of my late father's estate.

I have been getting out on my Exup-R but can't post pics from my p/b a/c where there's over 4,000 of my pics. Luckily i've got them all backed up on an external h/d.

Enjoy 2020 everyone (unless Trumpet has started WW3....)

www.blood.co.uk
Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAMAEXUP wrote:

This & a brother's suicide means i'm still picking up the pieces with other aspects to do with probate of my late father's estate.

Enjoy 2020 everyone (unless Trumpet has started WW3....)

Sorry to hear your sad news

As for images, try Imgur.com
Itís similar to photobucket without the crap
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about using imgur but with 4,000 pics on p/b i'd be sorting pics for far too long. I've got other things to be dealing with as I said.

And thank you for the thoughts on my brother's suicide. My mum has still not fully come to terms with the situation yet.

www.blood.co.uk
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning all!

Not logged on in months.

How's everyone? smile
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
nuggitt
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Paul. Everythingís normal in my world whatever normal is. :re🥴 👍

Iíve started pacing up and down from the kitchen to the lounge window and back like a caged tiger. 🐯 Roll on springtime. 🌤🌤☀️😁🏍🏍🏍

What are you up to these days? 🏍👍
oldskoolexup
Motormouth
Motormouth
Location: THE place...some are born here, some drawn here...Manchester
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuggitt wrote:
Welcome back Paul. Everythingís normal in my world whatever normal is. :re🥴 👍

Iíve started pacing up and down from the kitchen to the lounge window and back like a caged tiger. 🐯 Roll on springtime. 🌤🌤☀️😁🏍🏍🏍

What are you up to these days? 🏍👍

Same as before but been very busy with work and just
about coming out of hibernation following the death in family.

All you lads?
&
Carpe Diem - seize the moment. Don't dream... Do!
YAMAEXUP
Commentary Team
Commentary Team
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A chill wind but some bright weather meant it was ok to get out for a ride today. But if anyone know the Oakdean cafe near Brands Hatch like I do, then they will know that the so called vehicle parking area is severely cratered with some puddles looking much like a battlefield from the first world war. So once home I had to clean the bike & lube the chain before putting it back in the shed. At least it wasn't raining..... rolls eyes

www.blood.co.uk
nuggitt
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAMAEXUP wrote:
But if anyone know the Oakdean cafe near Brands Hatch like I do, then they will know that the so called vehicle parking area is severely cratered with some puddles looking much like a battlefield from the first world war.

YAMAEXUP.

I have a story about the Oakdene cafť. Itís a bit of a long one so Iíll keep it as short as I can.

I think it was in 1980 when I had my Kawasaki Z900A4. I fitted some bigger carbs to it and I advertised the ones I took off for sale. A chap called Mick Kight?? from Swanley, Kent area got in touch with me, saying heíd like to buy them for his racing sidecar outfit he was building. The sale went through and I posted them off to him.

Roughly about a month later I was heading to Brands Hatch to watch the Transatlantic races (I think it was that series but not 100% sure?) and I camped in a little village called Eynsford not far from Brands Hatch. nod

A very nice farmer let me use a corner of his field near the farmhouse and he even supplied me with free water, milk and eggs for my breakfast. The farmer also told me to get down to the Oakdene Cafť tonight down the road because he said it will be a good night out for you bikers. Well I did go and as I pulled into what looked like the surface of the moon car park with massive pot holes everywhere. The car park was heaving with bikes and after a few minutes this lad came walking up to me and was admiring my Z900. He started telling me about him buying some carbs from a lad up North in Yorkshire about a month ago. When I told him that it was me that sold him the carbs, both of us couldnít believe it. Howís that for a coincidence eek eek

The next day he came to visit me at the farmerís field (base camp) and we had a ride over to his house to show me his sidecar outfit. Donít worry lads grooming wasnít invented back then. embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

Hereís some photos and Jesus I look so young and innocent. Now I'm not. laugh laugh laugh laugh

Stig
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story Nuggitt nod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Exup1000.co.uk Forum Index -> Lounge Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: